By Anonymous - 16/10/2015 00:57 - United States - Wichita

Today, my husband finally admitted that he squandered the last three months of my share of the rent on booze. He then blamed me, demanded more money, asked for a divorce, and stormed out. When he returned he asked, "How am I the bad guy?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 602
You deserved it 2 262

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I could name plenty of reasons he's the bad guy.

Addiction (I would assume) can unfortunately do that. It's a terrible thing to have to deal with for everyone involved.

Comments

Hope it gets better for you OP, what ever you decide to do.

he got some balls to ask you that after all that shit he did. you deserve better.

Well, I' m sure there were one of his demands you surely have to say yes to.

I so expected this to be from Canada, Ontario xD but anyways, you don't need that in your life, I'm sorry you had to get all the way to marriage for that. But speaking from experience, get out, don't feel bad that you can't help, he obviously doesn't want it. You deserve to have a better person to go through life with, not someone you have to drag along behind you kicking and screaming. Hope things work out for you, sweetie ^ ^ all the best

U don't ******* know what OP deserves shut up

46 youre a dick. 15 you had some good points but dont bash canada

leogachi 15

@55 She didn't bash Canada. She said one thing about one city, which according to Canadians is a shitty city.

Le_ponderer 14

You are married to a boozer OP. He needs to go to rehab and you need to figure out how to pool your finances to avoid getting kicked out of your home. From now on, you should handle both your finances and bill payment.

josiemorehouse 12

I totally agree with #16. In this case, OP should take over the finances. If this is the only issue in the marriage (alcohol addiction), if the husband can reach out and go to counseling or AA and overcome the addiction, it's worth trying to save the marriage. Maybe OP should try to discuss the issue with hubby when he's sober, let him know that it's not only affecting the emotional side of the marriage, but also the financial side, and continuing on this path will result in him being alone and penniless. It maybe enough for him to want to change, to become healthier, a better husband, and a more responsible adult. OP, I hope things get better for you, but if he is unwilling to change, there is only so much you can do, and only so much you can (or should) take.

Keep your money safe and pay for your half of everything by yourself.

maybe you should give him the divorce and find someone else

What do you mean his/your share of the rent? One house, one family, one rent. By keeping things separate and "playing it safe," you set a marriage up for failure.

askullnamedbilly 33

I'm pretty damn sure this particular marriage is failing because of addiction, not finances. Coincidentally, how other people handle their money is none of your damn business.

acerredrum 23

Also assuming that it is "Her rent vs his" is a hell of an assumption. My roommates are married so there is their 2/3's of rent vs my 1/3. It is quite possible that they simply have a roommate.

How do you know they don't just split the rent due to budgeting? If they're on a tight budget, it's very possible that with other expenses (car, electricity, food, etc...) they can only afford to pay the rent if they combine their paychecks. It's not lack of trust, it's about knowing that since you only have a limited amount of money, you each need to put aside x amount or else you won't be able to meet the rent. In any case, when you have one partner who has serious addiction problems (alcohol/drugs/gambling/shopping), you'd be a fool to give them full access of all your finances. It'd be one thing if you'd been working together on the problem and they have reached a stage in recovery that you are beginning to rebuild that aspect of trust, but handing over thousands of dollars to someone you know is an active and in-denial addict with no intention of stopping is not very wise imo. It can be especially harmful to the family if kids are involved, and the one addict parents squanders away all their food, home, and education money.

Redgy22 26

Yeah, because THAT'S the real issue here- splitting the bills. Do you think before you speak/type?

Separate finances does not set up a marriage for failure, that's utterly ridiculous. It's so much easier to keep track of finances and play money separately.