By dgilbs - 12/11/2012 22:08 - United States - Grosse Pointe

Today, my friends and I went out to dinner. Being short on cash, I suggested a game where we put our phones in the center of the table and first to check their phone had to pay the bill. Our conversation died out, and fearful of having an awkward silence, I checked my phone. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 420
You deserved it 55 281

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How unfortunate! Hopefully it's a lesson learned. I mean, you knew you were short on cash. Why be risky?

Comments

honeybadgerr 9
sylar88_fml 1

Definetly a YDI OP, how hard is it to turn your phone off and not check it? If your bored and no conversations going on you have a wonderful device in your head that streams video in your mind called imagination, go to your happy place or w/e until food is served. Easy as that lol. I went into many sit down restaurants before I got my first cell phone at age 18 and I managed to pass the time easily.

You should have stayed home if you were short on cash.

Ihazleatherpants 3

I see someone has been on a certian app...

If you didn't have enough money you better have found a way to pay and if you had a good server tip them properly. If you can't afford to go out then don't. You better not have left without paying either to add to your stupidity. Let's hope at the end you did something smart & did the right thing .

It depresses me that you all spend enough time pissing about with your phones for it to even be a feasible game. Why bother meeting up with your friends if you're all buried in your phones for the whole meal? Might as well just talk to them through texts and eat out alone or save money by eating at home. It's one thing to check your phone once or twice (if that - if it's an emergency you'll get a phonecall, so there's no need to check unless it's ringing) but what is with these people who just can't put the bloody thing down?

IMO, someone burying themselves in a phone just adds to the awkward silence. Usually when I'm out with people I put my phone away and forget about it. The only exception is when all of us use our phones to play a game together if we are at a notoriously slow place. But that has happened so few times. I will have to remember this game though. I have a friend who is do tethered to his phone it has become annoying. He asks to go places with me and slows me down because he is so buried in it. Maybe a hit to his wallet will teach him. And I don't mind picking up the tab if he gets the hint.

That's a really great idea, if it would have worked. I hate hanging out with people that are constantly checking their phone.