By StateOfEuphoria - 24/07/2016 22:52 - United States - Petal

Today, my friend and I were brushing our teeth, standing side by side. We both have a sympathy gag reflex. He brushed his tongue and gagged, which caused me to gag. So we had a never ending gag-fest until we both began throwing up and couldn't stop until one of us could manage to hold it in. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 162
You deserved it 3 089

StateOfEuphoria tells us more.

It's what I've always heard people call it, a sympathy gag reflex, but I'm sure there's a different name for it. its just where you gag at the sound of someone else gagging.

Top comments

Sympathy gag reflex? That sounds crazy, is there anything you can do for that?

Comments

Sympathy gag reflex? That sounds crazy, is there anything you can do for that?

It's what I've always heard people call it, a sympathy gag reflex, but I'm sure there's a different name for it. its just where you gag at the sound of someone else gagging.

Its sympathetic my dear, its one of the two neural pathways we have.

zeffra13 31

I'm sorry that happened, but why didn't one of you leave the room so you couldn't hear the other gagging anymore? Or did it progress to vomiting too quickly?

I guess you can't watch fear factor at all OP. That'd be hell on your throat

Note to self: don't brush your teeth in close proximity to this friend.

Maybe you should start brushing your teeth alone from now on

What the hell was he brushing his teeth with that made him gag?

It's the same reflex when you shove a finger in your mouth. The brush must've gotten too far in the back of his mouth. I suppose it can be a problem with wisdom teeth, at least I get the reflex as well when I'm not careful around the wisdom teeth...

I gag every time I brush my tongue, it's pretty common.

This is actually really hilarious. I'm sorry OP

ambersayshii123 17

he said in his best cleveland voice

christa953 12

Of all things that never happened, this never happened