By crzyry - 23/02/2012 03:49 - Canada

Today, my four-year-old daughter called me by her mom's new boyfriend's name. Three different times. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 632
You deserved it 3 118

Same thing different taste

Top comments

zingline89 18

At four years old, they're bound to repeat everything they hear. Especially names being loudly screamed from behind Mommy's bedroom door.

Comments

ninjuh_wingman 29

Well maybe she just confused you with him. Or she might just love him more.

We're seeming to forget she's four I don't think it had anything to do with her lovering one dad over the other, maybe one dad just happens to be around more that the other for reasons that we don't know.

This is the kind of situation that we don't know if the reason she's saying it is because he might spend a lot of time with her (like somemen do just to make the women think they are nice guys). Or it could be she's just so used to her mom saying his name that she got used to saying it. Either way FYL. :(

TheDrifter 23

More likely her mother has been encouraging her to call the new boyfriend "daddy". When my ex did that it caused my children to think that some sort of name swap occurs in such a situation. Instead of just calling me by his name, my oldest asked me "If Dave is daddy now, are you Dave now?"

30- I hate people that do stuff like that. I never called either of my stepparents Mom or Dad. They aren't your real parents, why treat them as such? I understand if you've, say, lost a real parent, but if they're still around, it's insulting to them.

Aweeeee, I'm sure it was a mistake! It doesn't mean she loves you any less she just got a little confused.

luvstrckprncss 5

She obviously likes him better. Be there for her and be a real dad. It sucks not growing up with one /:

I agree with you, #20; she might like the new guy better. OP, you need to buck up your game!!!

OP May only be allowed to see her every other weekend because of custody laws that were passed at the time of the divorce. May not be OP's fault.

How can you tell OP to be a real dad without knowing the circumstances?

xMiss_Maggot 7

thats sucks... will u got to spend more time with your daughter

iceblue_fml 0

Why isn't your daughter calling you daddy? Does she call you by your name or something? I agree with a few of the other comments, you should try and spend more time with her.

Yeah, thought that was the important name to be called

bizarre_ftw 21

At least she recognized the idea of daddy, soon she'll learn which is which. Then, of course, she'll choose which one she prefers (I suggest buying that pony quickly)

FYL indeed OP, you got find a way to spend more time with her. But on the other hand its kind of nice cos it show that they are getting along so its likely that is treating her well, I know you don't want to be replaced and you don't have to be cos there is place for both of you, but Just be glad for her cos not all stepfathers give a shit about someone else's daughter.

Few of them...very few....most of the time, they just shove the kid on his/her real dad. And then, another child grows up without a mom....

lrgenesis 19

Damn that really sucks OP, thave her call her mom something like Destiny or Monica lol