By stillaproudfather - 22/05/2014 19:24 - United States

Today, my daughter admitted why her grades, which are usually straight A's, have been slipping the past few weeks. Turns out she has been deliberately failing tests to avoid becoming valedictorian, so she won't have to deliver a speech at graduation. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 922
You deserved it 6 705

Same thing different taste

Top comments

cjwayy 22

Sounds like she has social anxiety or something of the sort. Ask her why she's afraid of giving a speech maybe?

hahaha that's a hard worker you've got there

Comments

But the school can't make her give a speech...

DatWeirdoDoe 9

I would do the same thing. No one likes giving out speeches

stage fright/social anxiety, whichever it might be sucks, that shouldn't affect your daughter's grades though!

This will probably get down voted, but making an FML post about it instead of talking to her about her fear of public speaking, is bad parenting. You need to talk to her, and her school's staff and see if you can get her some sessions with the school counselor. If she is that desperate to avoid it, it sounds like it is a serious anxiety for her, and she may need some help. If she goes to college, then she will not be able to escape having to do some public speaking without failing classes completely. Public speaking is a required course for most universities. Advocate for her and get her some help, or at least talk to her. It has to be a serious fear for her to have responded by going from straight-A's to failing. If she had all A's she had to care about her grades, and her anxiety is causing her to have to ignore the fact that she cares, which will just cause more issues.

You do realize that it's possible to do both, right? I mean you can talk to your daughter about something AND make an FML post. They're not mutually exclusive.

Dordanni 10

This dad never said failing. you can have a 4.0 all years in school, and get just 1 B and it'll knock you out of the running for valedictorian. I wouldn't say that would be failing. Either did OP. OP however said last few weeks.. Which will give the impression that he can check grades via the online grading system most schools have adapted to include parents in every step of their child's progress. Now, if it is just the last few weeks worth of grades, OP's daughter does have a chance to turn it around. Has nothing to do with parenting. And personally I do not see it as bad parenting, but as dad is a proud parent and bragging that his child could reach high goals just choosing not to.

It's not exclusive; yes, he could have done both. It is just something that he shouldn't have posted on FML. It's embarrassing for her, and she obviously already has social anxiety. Having this posted to FML, in a public place, and showing that her parent is embarrassed by her won't help the situation. She could easily see the post here and feel more judged and anxious. However, it is good that the majority of the responses here advocate for her and explain that social anxiety can be a real issue for some people.

demczyss 8

I'm at a point where I could get one A- and be dropped down a rank. That happened to me once this year. I started the year at third and got dropped down to fourth because I got one lousy A-.

Sounds like she may have social anxiety.

Animeisthebest1 14

I had to give a valedictorian speech in middle school and high school and it was pretty nerve racking but worth it. Just make the speech short so the class doesn't start hating you lol. Also maybe the salutatorian can do the speech instead.

dave20012 15

Well congratulations anyway.! She's gotten that far to graduate now time for college I hope she gets the college you both agree on :) good luck on her further endeavours in life