By applebearcat - 05/09/2009 05:59 - Malaysia

Today, my dad bought me a new laptop for my birthday. That's because he wants to use my old laptop for work, which is more expensive, has better specs, runs faster, and has a wider screen than my new computer. I just got a downgraded laptop as my birthday present. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 489
You deserved it 3 716

applebearcat tells us more.

I got that laptop when i went to college at a different state. I needed it to do coursework :p

Top comments

OhhxGoshhxAri 0

Don't give him your old laptop! Keep both. It's a gift, not an exchange.

Why are people so unnecessarily NASTY about FMLs? So what if the OP got a laptop...it doesn't make them spoiled. I would be a little annoyed if I got a laptop and a.) Found out it was an exchange, not a gift and b.) it wasn't as good as the one I had previously. There are all ranges of FML on here...just because they're not ALL from impoverished orphans who get dumped at the altar, doesn't make the other OPs any less deserving. RE-LAX!

Comments

Hmm... On one hand, you have a laptop, and your dad has a job, which means you probably have a roof over your head and an adequate food supply as well, as well as other simple luxuries like a shower and a bed. On the other hand, yeah, your "present" is worse than the original... I'm not sure what to think about this. I guess if you only used your laptop for games and dumb stuff (which I suppose is a possibility since you posted this story on FML) then I don't think it's that big of a deal. If your old computer is really that important than tell your dad to take the new one instead and everyone wins. It's not an FML or YDI, it's just a really crappy situation for you.

Umm...in comment #20 the OP specified that they got the laptop for college and to do coursework etc. in a different state...meaning for at least a while they also didn't even live at home.

Besides the obvious difference of screen size, maybe your dad isn't tech-savvy enough to know all about mega-bytes of memory, hard disk, and whatnot. Maybe you should tell him that your old computer is actually better or just lightly suggest that he should take the new one - he might have been trying to do something nice.

themixedt4pe 0

I think the one thing that people seem to be missing is that this was a birthday "present." If the OP's dad had just said, "Hey, I need a better computer for work. Can I use yours if I buy you one that will fit your needs, even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles? I'd really appreciate it," that wouldn't have been an FML in any way. Even, "I need your computer, here's a cheaper one to get you by," would have been better than what happened. It's the fact that a present that implies an improvement, rather than a downgrade, that really makes this an FML in my opinion.

just sell your new one keep the the money and say thank you and pretend don't give him any thing. then its a gift.

Next year, he'll run off with your girlfriend and leave you with your mom. You won't feel so bad with a downgraded computer as a birthday present when you get downgraded pussy.

Well it's tough for him, isn't it? He's giving you a gift. You say thank you. Nothing else is required. YDI for letting it happen.

waterynuggets 0

Nothing brings out the retards more than a "Mac vs PC" debate~.

That's jackassery on his part. Should have spent the money on his own laptop instead, and got you something more meaningful... or just had your mom take care of it.

tpag3r 0

i know all these stupid technology ****** just be happy with a laptop