By olyswimmer - 03/02/2010 05:11 - United States

Today, my car got a wheel lock because I had 5 tickets. Three of those tickets dated back to 2006. I got my car and license in 2008. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 380
You deserved it 3 650

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well obviously there was an error. They go by license plate not vehicle. Go fight the boot.

Does it mean two of those were still yours and that you hadn't paid for them? And seriously.. do they really track tickets by car, and not by driver? Smells like a fake

Comments

I don't get the comments about doing a background check when purchasing a vehicle from a private owner. Any time I have ever bought a vehicle from a private owner (which is a total of 6 including the 2 I've gotten for my wife) I was given a brand new license plate when I went in to pay the taxes and switch the title into my name. You can't go in and title it in the older owners name, you have to show proof of insurance (if your place of residence requires insurance), your drivers license, the title and the bill of sale. There is no way that it would still show the old owner, they would run the plates (not the vin, assuming you HAD plates and that isn't one of the tickets you've gotten!) and those would be in your name. In two years the plates would have expired so you would have to have gotten them replaced, same deal, you have to show paperwork that identifies YOU. So unless you had no plates on it they would not have run the vin number. Your vehicle would have been towed a long ass time ago if you'd had it for two years with no plates at all. It should be very very easy to fight this, but I am thinking this is a fake or a lie to cover his own five tickets. You are not responsible for tickets on the car, you are responsible for tickets that are in your name. The old owner's tickets are not something you would have to pay or deal with at all.

In some states--dunno about Washington--the plates stay on the vehicle for the life of the vehicle. Delaware, where I used to live, was like that. Often, the plate is in the police database as having some huge number of tickets against it and the car gets booted or towed, and a subsequent owner suffers for it. He or she then has to go to the police station to prove those tickets belonged to the previous owner of the car in order to get the car back. In a state like that, it's really important to get a notarized bill of sale when you sell a car, because if the new owner doesn't go to the DMV to register it, he can be driving around in what looks externally like a legal vehicle but the plates will come back to you if anything bad happens, and then the burden of proof will be on you to prove you sold the car.

And if you check out the trunk, you'll find the corpse... there's always a corpse involved. I know

mekarski1008 0

You shouldn't have gotten a ticket in the first place!

Same thing happened to my friend he bought a car with like 500$ in tickets and he had to pay them to register the car.

Did you buy the car from someone else? Did you change the license plate? If so, it could be the previous owner's tickets.

This all just depends on your principles. If your fine with paying for a ticket that isn't yours then go ahead, if not then find yourself a lawyer and take it to court (which is damn expensive and would cost more than the ticket but as i said its all about principles that you have).

so u time travel and commit crimes in ur car?>

tiancai 0

Yeah, maybe he has a car like in "Back to the Future".