By frustrated - 05/08/2009 20:30 - Ireland

Today, my brother deleted all traces of the novel I've been working on for three years from my laptop. The reason? When I was born I "stole all of Mum and Dad's attention." He's 24. FML
I agree, your life sucks 68 751
You deserved it 5 734

Same thing different taste

Top comments

In return, put a pillow over his face because "He's sucking up all the good air. "

Delete that ****** from your life. If he hasn't got over it by now, he never will.

Comments

uh... not funny! also, there's a thing called back-up. i would've thought you'd keep back-up of something that important! also, check that there is definately no way to recover the data. if you don't know how to do it yourself, go get a specialist or something if it means a lot to you.

Get a recovery software such as http://www.z-a-recovery.com/. It'll drag back deleted files from your hard drive, from SD camera cards, and any other media. Good luck

A good way to backup your files is to upload them to your email and make sure you don't have your password saved on that computer.

#66 Stop being a jerk, His bother was obviously jealous that he was better, btw OP, I say check for back-up files, there are usually some stored.

HopelesxRomantic 0

ohh goodddd. PLEASEE JUSSSTTT STOPP IT ALREADYY!! i never "feed the trolls". i keepit to myself but its getting SOO annoying. its not even funny. now i could see if you were one of those funny trolls who say funny things kidding around, but you are just obnoxious. if this is what makes you happy, then its more of a FYL AND the OP's .

Imawhalerider 0

The reason why he didnt get enough attention is because he is dumb, he should have stolen your book and sold it. then it would be a a real fml. It would be good to get another draft in . . 3 years really? and you didnt back it up. your laptop could have gotten destroyed and the same thing would happen.

YDI for whoring yourself to your parents.

people aren't all cautious like you, you know #65 ¬¬ Unlucky OP :/

#68 already told you how to fix it, so YDI for being a newb.. because even I knew this, and I know jack **** about computers...

If it was reall important you can buy some data recovery software or have it recovered professionally?

He deleted "all traces" of the novel. Maybe he figured out where the back up files were and deleted them. It's probably possible for him to make it impossible to recover the files if he knows enough about computers (Though I doubt it, he couldn't really be that smart.) FYL for sure, even if you get the files back your brother is still a ******* douchebag.

The problem is that his brother was able to delete all traces. If he had made proper offsite backups that one should make for something that important, his brother wouldn't have been able to touch them.

It is not a matter of caution, Christal, it is a matter of common sense. You do not put all your eggs in one basket if that basket is prone to, say, catching flame or being carried away by a hungry hen hound, because that is the nature of a flamable wood basket full of tasty eggs. Conversely, computers are volatile devices which are prone to damage and theft. If you have data you do not want to lose, you back it up. It has nothing to do with caution and everything to do with whether or not you are using common sense.

Ah... that kinda sucks He's really immature!

noobgang7 5

Reload your pc from the last checkpoint. It loads your computer back to that date so you can have everything that was lost. I did this when I lost all my songs and saved me from redownloading 2000 songs again ( from iTunes )

Yeah it probably means something to him

Delete that ****** from your life. If he hasn't got over it by now, he never will.

CyclonePsycho 1

lololol, sibling rivalry. Even if it's going to take a lot of work to get all of it back, think of it this way: rewriting the whole thing may give you a different perspective and end up improving your writing. A blessing in disguise :)?

I don't know about you dude, but if it was me in the OP's place, I'd bless the brother in disguise too, but using a baseball bat. D:

thatonesinginkid 0

I myself was thinking crowbar, but good suggestion. :D

alex_vik 0

And that's why I have a password on my laptop.

Qwermy 16

Windows or Mac system passowrds are in fact weak enough that even the strongest password can be cracked in about 30 seconds by a less-than-brilliant hacker. Unless you go to extreme security measures, things like this can happen to anyone

DragonBorn69 26

It doesn't matter, if OP had a password his brother wouldn't have access to his laptop/desktop, and what are the chances his brother is a hacker?

No... way! I'm working on a book myself. I was worried about something like this happening to me, so I saved multiple copies in different locations. I hope you have it printed out. You (or you could hire somebody) could just copy and retype it.

geesquared 0

everyone is working on a book

I'm writing a book too. It's called "Joe Blow Writes a Book, But Everyone Needs to Know About It, Even Though It's Substandard Writing"

In return, put a pillow over his face because "He's sucking up all the good air. "

tpag3r 0

Password protect your stuff when you live with siblings. YDI for not knowing any better.

http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/ Try this, it has saved me many times.

Sic62 0

You can probably recover it w/ the right tools, unless he was a complete dick.

he doesn't seem smart enough to know how to securely delete it. If she's smart enough to recover it, then the problem will be solved.

ahh what a little bitch. I'd have strangled the **** if he deleted anything I've been writing for that long...no matter the reason. The best of luck to you recovering any of those files!!