By tax-man - 02/03/2013 02:35 - United States - Chapin

Today, my brother called me, asking if I could help him do his taxes. Since he's a high school and college dropout, I thought all I had to do was a 1040EZ. No, last year he made more than twice what I earn, through self-employment. I have two Master's degrees and work at Burger King. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 366
You deserved it 9 137

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Some people with good business minds just aren't good at school. To assume that someone who wasn't good at or interested in school is going to not be successful is kind of messed up. Some of the brighter people I know didn't bother with higher education. Instead they learned by doing. And at least in the two career fields I worked in, that meant a lot more then having a degree. As someone with a degree, it was kind of frustrating knowing my degree meant crap when going up for a job. They were more interested in my real world experience.

californiapoppy 11

Well, that's a whopper of a problem

Comments

perdix 29

How does a high school dropout get into a college to drop out of that? What are your degrees in? Unless you have an M.S. in Flame-Broiling and an M.A. in Deep Frying, you're wasting your education with your current job. Education is highly correlated with high earnings, but is not a guarantee. You can get rich without an education and stay poor with one, but those are the outliers.

spliit_fml 8

Just because you went to college doesn't guarantee that you will make a lot of money or have a great job.

Don't just sit on your buns, try to get to the meat of the problem. It'd be better than sitting around being a vegetable.

Hopefully you can find something better then Burger King. He should split his refund with you.

2 masters means dick-all if they aren't in a field that's in high demand. I believe in doing what you love, but you have to be realistic and train for the job market. Do what you love as a hobby instead, or make enough money to fund your dream years down the road.

obviousboy 8

Well, if your degrees are in art history, what do you expect? Just because you have a degree doesn't mean it's useful or lucrative.