By singleagain - 15/05/2012 01:09 - United States

Today, my boyfriend asked me to marry him, saying that the only thing he would change about me is my last name. I later told him that I wanted to keep my last name after the marriage. I'm now single again. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 019
You deserved it 42 488

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Bob_Cat_fml 14

This is very precisely sexist. The symbolic of giving your last name to your wife has been at first the token that she was changing family. She used to belong to her parents and then to her husband. It was treating women as objects. Last name, as well as surname, is a part of your identity, and she perfectly has the right to want to keep her identity. This absolutely doesn't mean that she doesn't truly love her boyfriend, because you know, love is not about possession and she is supposed to love him, not his name. Of course it is not the kind of sexism that will make him batter his wife, but it is still a beginning of sexism. Anyway he is a prick for leaving her, let alone the sexist thing.

zingline89 18

Well, I guess you'll be Ms. Shitstain for the rest of your life. Would it have been so bad to be Mrs. Jones?

Comments

Bob_Cat_fml 14

Gays and lesbians keep their own names or take both of them. And they don't love each other more or less because one of them didn't change their name …

DasHaas 9

It's amazing how traditionalist 'certain countries' are. You should move to the netherlands, where nobody gives a damn. (For the record; my wife kept her last name and we decided on the baby's last name by "which sounds better").

VasilisaUzhasnaj 29

To those saying 'but it's a thousands-year old tradition!!' : So was human sacrifice and cannibalism. So were the old belief systems now called mythologies. My point is that it's a weak and terrible argument.

It may be something to do with how he's always seen his life. It may have been the equivalent of asking an amazing woman to marry you, but telling her you hate weddings and therefore will only be present for about 5 minutes to sign the register at the local city hall. It's not actually important for the long run, but will cause some people to break up with you.

Bob_Cat_fml 14

If my boyfriend happened to hate weddings (he doesn't but let's say he does) I would accept it and merely sign the paper, because I love him. And if I wanted a party so badly, I'll have one with him and only very close people so that he wouldn't feel bad. All is about consensuses and trying to please both parts.

So... Now that you're single again, can I have your number?

That's horrible, OP. It's your name and your identity - you don't have to compromise it or even justify your choice to anyone. If it's any consolation, it's probably as well he revealed that side of himself now rather than six months after the rings were exchanged, though I know that's cliche and cold comfort. I'm curious to know how many of the commenters bleating "IF YOU LOVED HIM, YOU WOULD'VE CHANGED YOUR NAME!!!" would continue to do so if the genders were reversed. If the FML had read "Today, my girlfriend agreed to marry me, but only if I changed my last name to hers. I'm now single. FML" I can guarantee there'd be a stampede of wannabe "alpha males" congratulating him on having balls and "not letting no femiminst tell u wot 2 do". Feminism is not misandry. It's a stance that seeks equal rights. No-one (male or female) is obliged to change their name, appearance or lifestyle at a partner's whim if they choose not to, and if you can't accept that, then you're a poor choice for a partner. Certain people need to grow up and join the 21st century.

I know that it's traditional for a woman to take her husbands last name but I don't understand why some people are so appalled by the fact that OP wants to keep her maiden name. Maybe she is an only child and wants to carry on the family name.

65 - or take their partner's name. There is NO difference just because someone is homosexual. :) they're just like everyone else :) But you're also right.

It might have made it seem less real for him. Anyway OP, insisting you keep your name doesn't seem fair. Some couples take on both surnames, why can't you compremise?

Bob_Cat_fml 14

95 : I know I'm like everyone else thank you (: Usually we keep both names because we're not bound to that tradition but indeed we can also take one of the names if we like it ! ^^