By Workhorse - 12/07/2014 21:11 - United States - Athens

Today, my boss called me to inform me that I'm being laid off. In my ensuing fit of rage, I deleted the recent project I've been working on for weeks. Pretty soon after, he called me back to let me know it was a prank. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 948
You deserved it 17 594

Same thing different taste

Top comments

otisnme94 14

Id be so mad. Bosses shouldn't joke about that kinda of stuff.

Vanessa_Leeann26 17

You can't pull it out of the trash can from the computer? Or were you so pissed that you fully deleted it? Either way, that way a dick move on your boss' part. Sorry, op.

Comments

thequeen_fml 6

You can sue. What employer jokes about 'firing' an employee? It's not the correct work ethic, so it's their fault. You deserve work cover. Hope it works out!

Sue for what exactly? Any lawsuit that OP files will be crushed by the much larger one the company counterfiles about their deliberatley destroyed work. I'm pretty sure in such a case the only winners will be the lawyers.

Plus you would need proof of the prank, and not everyone records every single phone call they receive.

Sorry OP! This is why I loath pranks, it's just another lie. But i guess you learned your lesson, getting laid off doesn't mean that your project is totally useless, you could use it else where.

lifeofpie25 16

try not to recover the project

Nope nope nope, get another job the boss is a dickbag.

In my country that kind of prank would be grounds for a Constructive Dismissal case and compensation. At the very least I would find another job quick smart.

You should retaliate and prank him back. Restore your project if possible, put it on an external harddrive and say to your boss, that you deleted it because you got angry for being fired/pranked. Let the sucker roast in guilt, which is my desired outcome, for a few days and then magically find your project. In my opinion, you should scold your boss for even joking about such a thing because it's pretty serious business getting fired and having to find a new job.

There's one glaringly fatal problem with your plan. The data's deleted. "Just retrieve the lost data!" Oh, suuuuure, and I suppose OP could pull an Elizabeth Montgomery and "just get" another job.

That's a really stupid prank. I hope you still have it in your trash or that you have a back-up somewhere..

Normally I wouldn't advocate this, but if your boss has a supervisor at work, I would report him for extreme un-businesslike conduct. It may also help to cover your rear when it comes to why that project isn't done. I know that it wasn't mentioned, but it would be particularly bad if the project were for an outside company. FYL OP, your boss is a Class A Jackass.

Personally I'd skip the boss of boss and go straight to Human Resources.