By Anonymous - 07/08/2015 14:27 - United States - San Francisco

Today, my boss at my new job described a client as "retarded". I corrected him with "mentally disabled". He smirked and replied "Whatever. Just explain things to her real slow. After all, she's 'mentally disabled'. And a woman." I need this job so bad that I'll have to just put up with this asshole. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 692
You deserved it 3 632

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Report it to someone OP, I'm sure that can't be tolerated.

ChloeRattlehead 22

That should not be tolerated at the workplace.

Comments

Report it to someone OP, I'm sure that can't be tolerated.

Make sure it's anonymous because you don't want to get on the bad side of someone who had little to no respect for others

TheEpicKitten 20

The only part you could report is sexism. Retarded is a medical term

The term retard is still politically correct because it's a medical term. The only time when it's considered offensive and unpolitical is when it's used as a slur/insult

you mean like how his boss was probably using it?

ViviMage 38

Mental deficiency used to be divided into the following sub-classifications, but these labels began to be abused by the public and are now largely obsolete: Borderline Deficiency (IQ 70-80), Moron (IQ 50-69), Imbecile (IQ 20-49) and Idiot (below 20). Mental deficiency is now generally called mental retardation.

I know he meant in an offensive way. I was never trying to justify the boss's use of words and attitude. I'm just meant that the word used to be socially accepted until people started using it as an insult. He obviously meant to insult the person which is completely horrible.

That's like calling someone who has cancer, cancer. Like that is all they are. MR is a medical term. Unless you are a doctor, or other type of provider, using that term is NOT acceptable. They are people. Human beings with wants and needs and dreams. I supervise a group home for DD adults and comments like this disgust me. I don't walk around calling them by their medical diagnosis, they have names.

So is the term 'negro', but if you used it repeatedly to refer to a client, you'd be fired if you didn't stop after being told it is considered offensive. The word in question is no different to the families of the mentally and/or physically disabled. The same is true of the term 'ass', which is what this guy is.

We don't call it retarded or even mentally disabled over in the UK, and I'm shocked that it's still used in the US. We say learning difficulties/disabilities or something along those lines (unless we know the name of the condition, such as cerebral palsy).

I definitely would look into reporting him! That is not okay!

Let's hope reporting this guy will do some good. I had a boss at my last job with a similar attitude and I reported him to HR anonymously. Not only did he find out it was me, but he received no repercussions, his behavior never changed. I could not wait to get out of there.

Bro is get him wrote up. That kind talk isn't ok in the work place.

True but private conversations don't carry the same significance as this one in the workplace.

ChloeRattlehead 22

That should not be tolerated at the workplace.

Go to HR IMMEDIATELY OP. In tbe meantime, I feel very sorry for you Dx

I hope that's a joke. And if it is it's a very poorly constructed joke.

Stop using that as an insult! It's no different than saying someone or something you don't like is gay. Serious or joking, it's not acceptable.

Buy him tacos every Tuesday from now on.

1dvs_bstd 41

What the... why? How will that stop the boss from being a mega douche?

MasterTron 24

Nor can he have waffles, those are mine.

1dvs_bstd 41

So insensitive, rude and unacceptable. I'm pretty sure he has a boss too, anonymously report him so it doesn't backfire if he only get reprimanded.