By nobody - 28/02/2016 01:36 - United States - Petaluma

Today, my best friend said we couldn't be friends anymore because I'm too depressed or too happy all the time. After explaining for half an hour what bipolar depression was and how I have it he just said, "Bullshit!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 915
You deserved it 1 716

Same thing different taste

Top comments

askullnamedbilly 33

Yeah, you don't need that guy in your life. Even if you did make up after that conversation, someone who thinks a mood disorder is 'bullshit' will never give you the support you deserve and need.

The amount of ignorance your "best" friend possess is astonishing. You deserve better friends who understand your mental illness.

Comments

Um? There's no such thing as bipolar depression. It's called bipolar disorder. Depression is one aspect of it, but there is no disease called bipolar depression. Jfc

In the past, bipolar depression was lumped in with regular depression, but a growing body of research suggests that there are significant differences between the two, especially when it comes to recommended treatments. Most people with bipolar depression are not helped by antidepressants. In fact, there is a risk that antidepressants can make bipolar disorder worse—triggering mania or hypomania, causing rapid cycling between mood states, or interfering with other mood stabilizing drugs. Despite many similarities, certain symptoms are more common in bipolar depression than in regular depression. For example, bipolar depression is more likely to involve irritability, guilt, unpredictable mood swings, and feelings of restlessness. People with bipolar depression also tend to move and speak slowly, sleep a lot, and gain weight. In addition, they are more likely to develop psychotic depression—a condition in which they’ve lost contact with reality—and to experience major disability in work and social functioning.

All that took was 2 seconds of some Google research. Maybe you should try it before you make yourself look like a ******* douche again.

corky1992 33

Sounds like you're better off without a person like that in your life.

You need and a deserve a better best friend O.P

Nat is this you cuz if it is didn't say bullshit I said I understand and won't judge you

If he's that ******* stupid, then you're better off without him.

Just smoke weed. Kick that bipolar shit's ass

lolhailsatan 23

there's always that one guy with no actual knowledge of mental health who insists on telling you that smoking pot will cure your mental illness lol

Marijuana actually does benefit people with mental illnesses. It helps with Anorexia, Insomnia, and all forms of depression, including Manic Depression (Bipolar Disorder), among other things. It calms your mental state and makes you feel much more positive.

Yeah but it doesn't cure the other more volatile mental illnesses

Not always true #30. I tried out to ywar my manic depression and anxiety and all that I got out of it was slightly less anxiety and a much more intense emotional up and down.

Actually smoking pot has been known to bring out latent personality disorders (such as schizophrenia) in people that otherwise may have stayed latent. It also causes people with mental disorders and anxiety to often feel more anxious and paranoid causing them to do things they normally wouldn't do (sometimes dangerous things). Marijuana can cause also cause temporary psychosis while people are high in people without mental health issues so it's safe to say that it could only add to a person's mental issues. Despite what people think, weed causes impairment of your mental faculties and in people who are already depressed, or paranoid, or experiences manic episodes (as that of someone with bipolar disorder) this can only be exasperated. People with mental health issues should stay away from weed. Feel free to downvote me if you disagree, but this has all been medically researched and proven.

@42 The first half is true and proven, however, it is NOT safe to say it "could only add to a person's mental health issues." Nor can it "only be exasperated." They have yet to find a definitive link - positive or negative - between mental health and marijuana except for it can help bring out latent schizophrenia. In fact, most studies show that there's no negative link with the actual drug usage and mental health. The only thing that they've noted is, negative consequences were positively correlated with negative well being. However, there's currently no direct link with marijuana usage = negative well being, only negative consequences from drug use = negative well being. All I'm saying is, it's not clear enough to say "it helps!" or "it only hurts!" Right now, honestly the research is pointing towards "it's a case by case basis." Which is how all mental health medications are, right now.

aelarol 5

Plus safer if they are zoned and LEAVE YOU ALONE.

dragoongirl90 34

#42, thank you for being an intelligent human being. I suffer from severe anxiety and PTSD and all that fuckshit did was make it way worse. It caused paranoia. I screamed inside my head for an hour. It took my constant, severe physical pain and amplified it; caused me to be unable to focus on anything but the pain. So **** pot and **** stoners who think it's a ******* cure for everything.

Yeah you are better off with out that person. Trust me as a bipolar 1 as soon as I shed those friendships and relationships my life improve exponentially.

My older half sister was apparently bi-polar. The amount of abuse I endured from her was incredible. Truly horrific abuse. Then she would blame her condition, and tell me I need to respect her disability. She also refused to try medication because we were supposed to accept her for how she is. I cut her off 7 years ago and have no regrets. I'm not sure what caused this friend to draw away, but I suspect he had his reason. It's easy to judge him without the facts, but I can understand what he may have endured.

aelarol 5

I married one and have worked under four so you have my sympathy.

Ficu 12

That's horrible, using a disorder to completely ignore other peoples feelings. Since she was both aware what she was doing and refused to take medication, or presumably change anything about the way she was treating you, I may have sympathy for her condition but none for her using it as an excuse.

Don't worry, nobody deserves that dumb of a friend.