By Anonymous - 14/10/2009 13:39 - United States

Today, I was participating in an exercise in my psychology class to describe this horrible looking person I had never seen before and I described the person as a "rebellious, drug dealing, lowlife". The person in that picture turned out to be my teacher. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 351
You deserved it 9 681

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like your teacher is a rebellious drug dealing lowlife.

perdix 29

What's the problem? You might get a good grade and a reliable source of cheap weed.

Comments

artifactoid 0

Okay, obviously this was the intention of the OP's teacher. Like the OP said, it was an exercise in psychology. The teacher probably was attempting to illicit this sort of reaction to prove a point about assumptions and judging appearances. THe OP just displayed that they are quick to make assumptions about people and judge them based on almost nothing, but trust me, that's what the Prof. wanted.

That'll teach you to judge by appearances alone.

So... how is it that you'd never seen your teacher before? I'm confused.

I'm sick of stupid hippies saying that you can't judge a book by it's cover. That's why book's ******* HAVE covers, so you can see what the book is about just by looking at it! The same is true for people. Many times, we define ourselfs by how we want others to percieve us. When you judge someone by their appereance, you'll never be 100% correct, but usually you can tell a lot about people by observing them. And by the way, what a stupid, childish excercise. Your teacher to showed you a (dated?) picture of himself and asked for your superficial reactions, only to jump out and say, "HA! It was ME! Don't you all feel like assholes?" What a dick. Another reason why being a psych major is total bullshit.

What did you major in? Douchebaggery? Looks like you went for the Master's degree in that one.

Because of course only hippies say that. You're an ass. I'm a law student, but when I'm in street clothes (not dressed professionally), people think I'm a stripper just because I have a lot of tattoos. The look on their faces when I start talking is hilarious. Girls who wear band shirts and pants with chains and have ink can't possibly be intelligent. In short, you can't judge a book by its cover. Also, what Chopperman said. I think the professor's exercise was a good one, as long as he didn't get mad at the OP, in which case, he'd just be a douche.

Kandi, is that you? All those lap dances you gave me, you kept telling me you were trying to put yourself through law school, and I thought you were full of shit. But you totally made it! Congrats. Wanna head back to the champagne room, for old time's sake? :D

Not all people adhere to the rule of dressing how they want to be percieved; some people only care about how they themselves feel rather than making other people feel. In other words: Some people dress as they will because that's how they want to, not because they wish to show who they are. Perhaps you could say unconciously that's how they want to be seen... But, that doesn't matter. The way a person dresses and looks doesn't accurately judge their character. Some people dress badass to throw others off from their actual teddybear-esque personality. And, the perception of how someone appears may only hint at their personality; it doesn't necessarily show exactly who they are. Gothic up there is an example of that: she may have the topical personality one can attribute to her kind of appearance (not saying you do, gothic), but that doesn't mean she's a dope or is a bum/has a crappy job. The meaning behind the phrase is that there's a lot more to a person than the surface. And no, you can't necessarily completely judge a book by its cover. Seriously, though I hate to use it, if you did that with Twilight, you'd assume it was about... picking apples. (Would probably have fared better as that...) Meanwhile, the Alice in Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass hardback I have has a picture of Alice and some Wonderland characters on it... there's not a lot to be judged from that, but you could at least assume it's a children's novel, which it is. On the other hand, the Jurassic Park paperbacks I have both have dinosaur skeletons on their covers. That's accurate, but how often is this the case? Not quite so much. After all, the cover is merely a first glance, meant to catch the eye, perhaps give you a clue... but not tell you what it's about. You read the back or just inside for that.

how did you not recognize it was your teacher? idiot

I hope it was a really old picture of him/her. it was probably part of the experiment, I doubt you hurt their feelings.

alwaysalady 0

I had a teacher do something very similar. He usually shows up in a very nice suit and tie. One day, as a lesson on how appearances affect people s perception, he showed up dress as a dirty, unshaven hobo. Half the class didn't recognize him, and someone called campus security. I 'm sure your teacher made himself look like that.

xoconnie 8

ooooh snapppp. you suck! FYL your teacher hates youuu.

What the hell kind of assignment is that? ... And what's wrong with being rebellious? Isn't that... uh... the very definition of the USAmerican? Because I dunno about you but I'm prrrretty sure we REBELLED from England... along with a couple of other rebellions... speaking out is in our blood, in our CONSTITUTION... So, yeah, what the crap? ..... And how the hell would you get "drug-dealing" out of a picture, unless it was a mugshot? I can see lowlife or maybe even scumbag... perhaps... if they were really dirty... (if this double posts... FML is being dumb today)

Soitgoes74 0

YDI for being a judgmental ****.