By A.K. - 27/05/2009 12:40 - United States

Today, I was driving on the highway and a cop had his radar gun out. The woman in front of me panics and slams her brakes on, causing me to rear end her. The cop cited me for "tailgating" and I have to pay for the damages on both of our cars. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 178
You deserved it 21 095

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Thats the technical definition of tailgating. If you're so close to the other car that in a situation in which the car in front of you suddenly breaks, and you rear end the car in front of you, that would be tailgating. Really, what do you think tailgating is if its not exactly the situation you're in now?

I cant stand people who slam on their brakes whenever they see a cop. Especially when the dudes on the other side of the highway

Comments

cxal_fml 0

I'd only be concerned if the cop didn't give you a ticket, considering you were no doubt driving unsafely, illegally, and tailgating someone, which resulted in a needless and easily preventable accident. People like you don't deserve to be on the roads - you make driving dangerous and deadly for those of us who utilize a tiny bit of common sense when we drive

Always assume everyone on the road is an idiot. Idiots can stop, turn, weave, or explode for no discernible reason. If you failed to plan on an idiot doing something stupid, its your own fault. YDI.

You should have left a larger gap behind her.

AnaMaree 0

I wouldn't pay for shit. Get a lawyer.

YDI for all the reasons already listed. @36 If the freeway is that crowded, then people won't be driving at 60+ mph. The closer cars get together, the slower they drive. That's why there are traffic jams... if everyone drove at exactly the same speed in bumper-to-bumper traffic, theoretically there wouldn't be jams, that is until someone deviates slightly and causes a 100-car-pileup. Anyway, my point is that you should still be able to obey the 1 car length/10 mph rule. @37 Using an apostrophe to denote a plural is perfectly acceptable in a case where it might otherwise be unclear. In this case, "fml" stands for something. "fmls" does not clearly indicate whether it is a plural or whether another word (beginning with "s") has been added to the acronym. "fml's" provides a clear distinction between the acronym and what has been tacked on. @102 I think you are mistaken as to the definition of a "bad driver." That would be someone who drives unsafely and gets in crashes, not someone who pisses you off while YOU'RE driving unsafely. And, I'm pretty sure "knowing how to drive" generally includes "knowing how not to hit other cars" even if they are making poor driving decisions. Clearly, we cannot rely on everyone to drive properly, so you've gotta know how to avoid hitting them anyway. So, I guess my point here is: FAIL.

birds_fml 7

YDI. If you were unable to stop in time to keep from hitting her then you were either too close (tailgating) or weren't paying enough attention. Once again, YDI!!!

nwc020 0

You deserved that one, sorry. I got ticketed because the guy in front of me drove off from a yield sign and then stopped in the middle of the road. I followed him too close as I was looking the other way and rear-ended him. Pay attention next time.

this is precisely why I keep several car lengths behind everyone else. The cop should have at least charged the idiot woman in front with careless driving.