By JC - 19/10/2009 06:40 - United States

Today, I was driving down the road when a dog suddenly runs across the street. In attempt to spare its life, I swerved to the side of the road and rear-ended another car. The car I hit belonged the family that owned the dog. Now I have to pay them because I saved their dog's life. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 335
You deserved it 5 953

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You know what they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

That's like the other day I swerved to avoid hitting a squirrel right as another squirrel ran under my tire. Except I didn't have to pay damages to the original squirrel.

Comments

humans > animals not that its an easy choice, and not that anybody wants to kill someone's pet, but you clearly valued its life more than your own by swerving.

rubyhagen 0

Surely allowing your dog to run in the road could be classed as reckless endangerment? Seeing as it's their dog, you should contest it. Or counter sue. I'd counter sue. Expensive, time-consuming, yes; but then maybe that family would learn a lesson. Anyway. Sucks to be you buddy.

I totally agree! I've watched enough "People's Court" to know that there are consequences for letting your dog roam loose. The dog needs to be on a leash or in a fenced area. If the dog really DID cause the accident the owner should be at least partially responsible for the damage. Hopefully you have some witnesses to back up your story. Good luck!

letitbe56 0

"Now I have to pay them because I saved their dog's life." Well, of course you have to pay them. You drove into their car! It's great that you tried not to hit the dog, but what if a person had been standing where that car was? Not killing a dog is definitely NOT a get-out-of-responsibility-free card.

Why were you driving so fast down a residential street that the only way to avoid hitting an animal was to swerve? Slow the **** down a$$hole.

And that is why driving instructors always tell you, NEVER swerve for an animal. It's much more dangerous than braking. The people may be thankful their dog is still alive, but that doesn't mean they have enough money to pay car damages out of pocket.

actually according to law. if their dog caused the accident. they have to pay you. look it up don't be stupid

perdix 29

You should have hit the dog, wished the family "bon appetit" and got the hell out of there!

perdix 29

That's a good call to not finish that comment. Starting with "As a dog owner" automatically makes your comment shrill, boring and inane. I hope you don't find this compliment boring. ;)

letitbe56 0

FML cuts off comments sometimes. It's happened to me before. Maybe the person didn't notice, or did but time ran out while they were editing.

You should not pay them. You should sue them for the damage to your car. They were negligent in letting their dog run out in the street.

Agreed. They were negligent for letting their dog run loose. Check with your city/county for leash laws and I'm guessing you'll find that the dog owner will be at least 1/2 responsible for the damages.