By alexbrooke - 27/09/2013 02:33 - United States - Paintsville

Today, I was cutting a client's hair, and she was complaining about how itchy her head was from having it too long. As I lay down my comb and shears, three lice bugs ran across my counter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 966
You deserved it 3 798

alexbrooke tells us more.

wow! at a couple of these comments. For one anyone who say I should have done a full inspection...really? You have had time to thoroughly inspect each client? You must have never been busy. I was so busy that morning I didnt shampoo my client, secondly I didnt even brush her hair out before i did the cut. When she sat in my chair her hair hit thr floor. she asks for one length, straight across her back. now she had very dark hair and any cosmetologist knows its easier to see in lighter hair. I had a cutting comb so I must have brushed some out as i drug my comb down to length to do my cut check. I was almost on my knees trying to cut this hair. Anyways its was properly handled, i left that station and everything there until the salon was empty and I used barbacide on the whole place and my utensils. Plus any cosmetologist knows once I start cutting that head, I cant stop even if I see the infestation, I have to finish, and follow company and state guidelines.

Top comments

Walk away. Just walk away and tell her to stop by the store on the way home.

AnOriginalName 19

Well that's a hairy situ.... Just kidding. But seriously, that sucks. Time to disinfect the whole place?

Comments

As a hair dresser.. Aren't you supposed to look for that? I don't get how you deal with hair all day long and never notice someone's scalp... Especially if it's that bad of a problem..

Did she have dreads or something? I just cringed... hope those three just go die and don't inhabit..,

Holy_Schnikes 23

I've had dreads. It's a common misconception that people with dreads are dirty. I showered every day and washed my hair with shampoo, then every other night I would apply the wax to help keep my hair "bundled". The only time I ever had lice was when I was little and got them from my cousins. Never once did I have any with my dreads. The hair is so tightly packed one would think lice couldn't move through it, hence the reason why people with "cleaner" hair get them often.

You're not meant to cut someone's hair if they have lice

lil_mars 1

While lice do not prefer either clean or dirty hair, it is easier for them to move around and breed in clean hair. Or that's what a doctor once told me a long time ago, anyway. Sorry, OP! How does a hair salon deal with something like that afterwards? Send the client home, close the shop, and spray?

serioussideeffct 12

FYL where I live you'd have to call every single client and inform them and call the CDC. Who will shut you down for two days to make sure the problem is dealt with, the come in and super-clean, sterilize and sanitize. Also the client is fined because in NYS it's illegal to go into a salon with lice - even without knowledge. The bugs fall out when you wash your hair; you'd have to notice (I had lice twice as a child)

I got lice from working retail and putting away clothes. Many people don't inspect their shower after a shower. I had to have my mom look because I was itching so bad. I had looked with a mirror on my own and couldn't see anything. So no, it's not impossible to have them and not know until you've got an infestation going on. Also they have to call the CDC?? It seems like the CDC would have more important problems/outbreaks to deal with other than head lice...

Well at least you can make a fortune selling her all the products she'll need to get rid of them...

For some odd reason, this really bugs me...

Run doesn't look back unless you're in school in that case considering yourself lucky

Are you trying to say that because the op is a hairdresser, they did not go to school?

At work one time somebody returned a full keg still in its tub. I have back issues so I decided to dump it over so that I could get the keg out sideways. When I tipped the keg over, several large cockroaches came scurrying out. Luckily the tub was facing away from me.