By Anonymous - 27/09/2010 07:03 - United States

Today, I tried to get over my childhood phobia of syringes by donating blood. The phlebotomist hadn't even touched the needle before I started sobbing hysterically. They made me leave. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 608
You deserved it 13 760

Same thing different taste

Top comments

doublelover 0

well u guess you could say u tried?

Just put some music on and tune it out. I hate needles too.. but when push comes to shove I can at least look away and think of something else.

Comments

Ooh man I have the same phobia and I will NEVER be able to get over it because I also hate the sight of blood :( But if you just need to have blood work done just get it over with and think of happy stuff or something.

that sucks but you shouldn't mess around with tour phobias. especially of you still haven't gotten over them yet

I agree with 33 y would u try If ur still really scared

how is OP a pussy? its a phobia you did well, OP

A blood drive is not an appropriate place to get over a needle phobia. The nurses and technicians have a million things to do without worrying about you hyperventilating and passing out. There are lots of people to process and you just wasted time, money, took someone else's spot and then freaked out and made a scene at the end. Go face your fear in therapy with some guidance instead of throwing yourself in a roomful of needles and flowing blood..

Rubybabeexx 0

I'm afraid of needles too (22 yo male haha) so I say good effort! but if you are that hysterical it's right for them to send you away

or beardophobia (I wish I was making that up) which is to say, fear of beards!

I think it was on Maury or Montel, but they had an episode on phobias and one lady was afraid of balloons, so they filled the whole stage with baloons. Best episode ever!

Unfortunately, I'm absolutely the same way! I've always been irrationally afraid of needles. I've fainted after shots more times than I can count...

You pass out at the sight of a needle??? Wow that's cheaper than roofies!! Wanna go out??

#105 Bahaha. I don't pass out at the sight of a needle, but I do pass out after getting a shot/giving blood.

The reason they have to be so discriminating (against high risk demographics, individuals who might be sick, and even hysterical people) is becase the sterile equipment and collection apparatus (which they can only use once) is quite expensive, and if they didn't manage to extract a mimimum amount before OP fainted or had a panic attack it would go to waste. Organizations like the Red Cross (which operate at a loss) cannot afford to waste time and equipment. It's not shameful to have your phobia (only potentially inconvenient). Let other people donate blood.