By Anonyme - 25/03/2016 03:52 - Japon - Tokyo

Today, I tried a photo booth that automatically whitens skin. Being naturally very pale, the machine whitened me so much that my face merged with the white background. FML
I agree, your life sucks 951
You deserved it 147

Top comments

The bright side turned out to be way too bright

Well look at the bright side you could hide in the snow when you're playing hide and seek :)

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Well look at the bright side you could hide in the snow when you're playing hide and seek :)

The bright side turned out to be way too bright

Being called Casper my whole life, I feel this on a spiritual level.

cheshireau 26

My Grandma's hair is so white, when they took her license photo, it looked like she was bald. I mean, c'mon, sometimes things that happen are silly and you have to laugh about it. You have a funny story to tell.

Same with my nan, she has loads of IDs designed for old people and every single one she looks either like a mad scientist or like a cartoon baby with a bald head and one curl for a fringe.

TMO2142 25

ya know... she could dress up as a mad scientist for holloween and go along with it? (not insulting btw i bet your grandma is a wonderful person)

Why does this kind of photo booth even exist?

In Japanese culture a lot of people want whiter skin to adhere to the western view of beauty. Even covergirl and companies that sell in america have different lines in Japan and China and whatnot of bleaching foundation and powders meant to lighten your skin over time.

I know that. I was questioning this whole "trend".

East Asians wanting to have white skin predates western influence. In their old societies, someone having white skin just meant that they were not working in the fields, in the sun. They associated white skin with having a higher status.

The western view of beauty is roasting in tanning booths.

#28, same reason, different culture. Only the wealthy can afford to lay in the sun in a Swiss ski resort, while all the poor people are spending most daylight hours slaving away in some office building.

clue_me_in 20

No it is not. Most people don't think "roasting" in a tanning booth is beautiful. Ugh.

That's taking skin pigment to a new level

RedCronos 17

maybe you're supposed to color yourself in.

Why would you want to whiten your skin? Be proud of the color you are! ?

It's a cultural thing in Japan unfortunately.

Same reason as Western people who sunbathe or put on bronzer, tanning lotion and the likes. Not being entirely satisfied with your natural looks and wanting to change or enchance them in some way is pretty much the basic idea of the whole beauty industry, wherever you live.

species4872 19

Once upon a time a suntan was considered healthy particularly if it had a nice bronze shine to it, while white pale skin was considered sickly. this was the held view particularly in the 60's and 70's. This was of course before the dangers of skin cancer was well publicized. Of course these days everyone knows better. Mind you some sun exposure is desirable.