By GingerJ - 02/01/2012 01:22 - United Kingdom

Today, I told my parents that I wanted to donate blood. My dad helpfully interjected, "Sorry, they don't accept blood from gingers." FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 012
You deserved it 8 356

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Time to die your hair...... And freckles.... And whatever the hell else is orange

Comments

GoW_Chick 14

Us gingers are always taking crap because south park made that stupid episode, how the hell did they find out are secrets.

My new years resolution was to not point out grammatical mistakes blatantly. It's very difficult to fulfill. I'll leave it to someone else. South Park knows all. Edit: -.- I'm just not quick to the draw this year apparently.

GoW_Chick 14

Thank you 65 I didn't even notice that :)

68 - but you just did point out a mistake. You lasted longer than most who claim a resolution.

What would we do without you pointing out the obvious to everyone. I hope it made you feel better about yourself, obviously that's what is most important.

135- That's why I used the word "was" in my comment. :P 141- Is there a problem? Feel free to call the toll-free hotline at the top of my profile.

thenoobftw 3

They took a Ginger hostage and beat the shit out of him till he spilled the beans.

hungryparadox 6

Ugh.. More ginger-haters. I don't see how this type of discrimination is so easily accepted.. If someone said "Sorry, they don't accept black blood." most people would lose their shit. So why is this ok? And please don't give me the whole "it's not the same thing!!" bullshit. Because it is. A group of people being hated on because of the way they look.. Sound familiar? Sorry OP, fyl. Redheads are beautiful! :D

it isn't discrimination. it's jokes. humor. being able to laugh at yourself with friends is a fairly important skill to have. gotta have fun, take a joke. I joke with my redhead friends about it, they joke with me because I wear a cowboy hat. same shit. redheads aren't hated on. its just fun to joke around. especially with witty remarks such as the one from OP's father. nothin' like a clever guy with a good sense of humor.

Sparkrok, yes it is. Some assholes will use the "jokes" as forms of discrimination (discriminating people who have pale white skin, orange-red hair, and freckles). Some ginger kids are usually bullied and tormented because of the "gingers have no souls" jokes and "kick a ginger" day. Sometimes it's humor, but in the hands and minds of despicable assholes it turns to discrimination.

51- very true, it can get out of hand. I guess I wouldn't expect that to happen much outside of elementary school, though. although I suppose I just haven't witnessed it myself. my involvement has always just been joking around.

I kinda agree with you 39. There are people that joke about it with their friends and don't mean it, however there are also people who really hate gingers. I mean it's the same way with me and my friends that are African American. I'll give them shit And they give it back, it's all in jest an we don't mean it, but there are people who do.

You must honestly be a very sad person

octopusxO 3

I don't think anyone really hates gingers. They just make jokes. But I do agree that sometimes the jokes go too far and I'd probably be pissed too if I was in your position.

GoW_Chick 14

If I a ginger could interject into this debate, it really depends on the person your making those jokes to some of us laugh and take the jokes as they come but a more sensitive person may see it as discrimination and get a little upset, but at the end of the day they're just jokes people.

61 and 63 - thank yoooooou. I've never seen a person who truly hates redheads. why the hell would you?

51- I think sparkrok's point was that OP's dad isn't one of those douchebags. Her dad was making a joke. I'm hoping OP wasn't actually upset about the whole thing. It was a joke. Awkward is only a matter of opinion.

88- that's what I was goin for. thank you. what OP's father said sounds exactly like something my own father would say. on the fly, as a joke, and to my very own ginger brother. now, my dad can be the biggest asshole you'd ever want to meet, but in no way a douchebag. that's how the scenario ran in my mind for OP.

Time for me to chime in. I am of aboriginal decent with dark red hair and tan skin. I often fall victim to the ginger jokes and the "boongah!" jokes. The world is in a sad and sorry state when we cant accept people for who we are. These jokes are not funny, and are intended to insult. If i walked down the chinatown in sydney and said "whats crackin gook?" id be a dead man. Same goes if i insulted a man of african decent, or Americans. What makes these insults towards people with red hair colour so different? We are all HUMAN!!!

Rick_S 3

It is no more a joke than if someone says "they don't take black blood," as 17 pointed out. It's hate, plain and simple.

Ins0mau 20

The whole ginger thing is supposed to be ironic. The reason we don't make the same jokes about black people etc. is through history these people have been genuinely persecuted. Say whatever you want. Gingers have NEVER been persecuted like black people/Jewish people etc. It's not the jokes themselves that are offensive, it's the sensitivity and accusation with genuine hate perpetuated through history.

Thats a fair point 111 about history. In my view we are in 2012. People are people no matter of skin colour or hair colour. Surely we should be past all this? These traits are nothing new

39 - Some people make silly little jokes that are fine but a lot of people discriminate against them in a hateful way. :/ it's disgusting.

"Gingers" have not historically been persecuted. But ethnic groups commonly associated with "Ginger" traits have been heavily discriminated against at some points in history. Especially in America. Irish immigrants and their families were rejected from jobs because of their heritage, considered foreigners even if they were American-born, and generally held a social position that was one step above slave labor. Kind of like (sadly) how many Americans treat Hispanics today. Dirty Mexican jokes aren't funny either. Because while these groups did not see the level of prejudice and discrimination that Africans or Jews did, it did exist and still does. And it is still wrong.

Do your research 111. Prior to the 20th century red hair was considered a Jewish trait. So much so that during the Spanish inquisition persons with red hair were rounded up as Jews. In Italy, red heads were considered Italian Jews. And let's not forget the wars in Scotland and Ireland. So to say red heads have never been persecuted is completely false!

theevilduchess 12

Did you take away their sunscreen?

I have a bautiful Ginger daughter who has to take endless crap. Die south park die!!!!

demonwolfmaster 26

I'm glad to see you want to donate op i do and your dad needs to shove off i see gingers where i donate all the time and who knows you might have the blood some one needs like me I'm a rare blood type AB+ so they like me donating and hey if you do go don't worry it doesn't hurt its done faster if you have music and a good nurse

sophroxx3 0

I'm a ginger and they accepted my donation.... How unprofessional

linkinpark98 23

(yawn) That joke is overused. Come up with something else that te average commenter will write.

koolkat27 13

124- because it's totally a fact right? Because everyone knows you can tell if someone has a soul because of their hair.