By Unsuspecting - 16/04/2016 12:23 - United States

Today, I started my period almost a week earlier than I expected to. I also happened to be at the beach with a guy that I really liked when it started. He was the one who noticed, and he informed me by saying that we couldn't go back in the water or we would be eaten by sharks. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 548
You deserved it 1 737

Same thing different taste

Top comments

He seems to be pretty light-hearted about it. Regardless, that does suck and I'm sorry Mother Nature is punishing you for not being pregnant.

I guess its time to stop swimming, period.

Comments

Oh he actually sounds like a really good guy that didn't make too big of a deal about it like some would.

Hey now, that was rather thoughtful of him! Beats getting eaten by a shark at least. ? Periods suck. ?

I understand why this is a FML, of course you're embarrassed and even if everyone says you shouldn't be, it will take time to get over it, but he seems like a really good guy and you guys will laugh about it someday.

This is probably one of the most optimistic/relatively light hearted FMLs that I've read. I could imagine that would be horrifyingly embarrassing, but it still sounds like he hit the right combination of humor and concern. Which is impressive, since so many guys freak out when the topic is the subject of menstrual cycles. A lot of men (well, ones without the parts in question) freak out about how 'gross' it is for people with uteruses' bodies to do that thing biology makes them do.

To be honest 99% of times I read how men freak up about this, perfectly natural thing, is when women tell stories about how men freak out when some one as much as talks about period. Actually under almost each FML in this site, even remotely connected to menstruation you can find few women talking about how we are terrified of it, and replies from men usually are "chill its no big deal". Maybe you can explain this phenomena to me? Like did you pull this statement out of your ass? Or some dude who thinks that being virgin till 30 will make him a wizard, once freaked out when you was talking about periods, and you became convinced, that men do not understand biology and think that women fart butterflies?

Try a college biology class, with 15 of the 20 guys in it making disgusted statements about how they "don't need to know this shit." Ages ranging from sixteen to twenty-seven, and the under-eighteens being the ones calm about it.

So you are conflating 2 different things into one. First if I remember well men also giggle and make stupid remarks, when there is penis or something remotely sexual in biology. Second, even though knowing details might be useful sometime in their lives, but other than that, unless they are studying medicine, they really don't need to know everything. Just like you do not get freaked out by the fact that people shit, but you don't really want to know details about size, hardness and splatter radius. So the question would be how many times did you see men freak out about it, when some "accident" actually happens, not when bunch of guys try to impress each other by being shitty trolls? BTW by freak out i don't mean "I don't really want/need to hear what kind of period you had/have".

It beats running away screaming hysterically, I guess.

Well he actually sounds chill, albeit a bit immature considering how embarrassed you must have felt. Don't hold it against him as I'm sure he wont hold it against you.

Well, at least he cares about your safety.

awe that's kinda thoughtful in a way. he didn't want you to be embarrassed but also wanted you to know he was chill about yourw accident

Or worse yet - you could have attracted bears!