By DolphinGirl369 - 07/06/2013 04:33 - United States - Fairfield

Today, I saw mice eating from my cat's food dish, again. Where is my cat? He's busy bringing in more mice, birds, and once even an unharmed chipmunk through his cat door. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 191
You deserved it 5 504

DolphinGirl369 tells us more.

Hi, OP here. I posted this before I had an account, and just found this again looking at random fmls. I live out in the country on a gravel road so there isn't much traffic, and my cat, (Indy for Indiana Jones), is very good with cars. Also, the cat shelter where he was raised allowed the cats outside through a cat door. At first he was an indoor cat, but he started marking different areas of the house. It stopped for a while after we started letting him outside. But then if we were asleep or about to go to bed, and refused to let him out, he started marking again. That's when we got him the cat door. There have been no problems since then. We can't just get rid of him. My autistic brother loves him very much, and is great with him. And Indy is VERY affectionate, at times acting more like a dog than a cat. (That's not an insult, Indy loves dogs.) A lot of times they sleep together with Indy at his feet, or sharing his pillow. Indy will also watch tv with my brother. They really are great for each other. As for bringing animals inside, he will kill them, and sometimes eat them, but a lot of times we notice he has something before he's hurt them. In which case we get the animal away from him, and hopefully outside. The mice sometimes run away before we have a chance to do anything. Also, once he dropped a completely unharmed sparrow in his food dish. Of course it flew all over the house before we finally got it out. I guess he thought it would stay in his food dish? Yeah, he's not always the smartest, but we love him. Oh, and the count for chipmunks, both completely unharmed, is now up to two. All told, he is one of the best pets I've ever had. I just wish he would get the mice out, not bring more in. PS the reason there are mice in the house, along with living in the country, is because the foundation for our house wasn't built properly. There was a twelve foot long area that only had styrofoam between the outside and the inside of the walls. Yeah, the guy who built our house is a moron. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the fun comments.

Top comments

maneater8 7

He got lonely ! Wanted some friends.....

My cats have always brought live mice into the house. The theory is, that the kitties adopt us as their family and since we humans suck at catching mice they're bringing some for us to practice our hunting skills :-) It's pure love what they do, even though they look at us as their slightly dumber and larger siblings!

Comments

Mads_1234 28

Your cat is an evil mastermind: bringing them in and fattening them up for slaughter!

perdix 29

Maybe he's just trying to fatten them up before he eats them. It's not a cat's instinct to set up a bed and breakfast for its natural prey.

It's usually not a cat's instinct either to have such a diabolical plan set up for his prey. This cat is something else entirely!

perdix 29

Your cat sounds like a real pussy. Get a normal one that leaves you piles of bones and fur and feathers to clean up.

avapaige1234 19

He'll make a feast of them under your sink, don't worry.

Your cat is training you to hunt its favorite food, now it's up to you to prepare it. ratatouille, bird stew, chipmunk pie. You are a cat owner, you should know that your purpose in life now is to serve your master.

Put some cayenne pepper on one of the dead mice. He will stop that behavior pretty quick. I know many people this has worked for.

The cat (and you) might benefit from having a few toys around the house to ease the temptation of bringing in live animals. And as mentioned in earlier comments, lock the cat door.

either he thinks "Why cant we all just get along?" or he is per suing a career in catering

awwh since you always give him food he thought it would be nice to give some in return