By allwaysbuggedinheaven - 07/07/2009 12:16 - United States

Today, I returned home to find out that my new and very expensive computer had overheated. I confronted my mom, and she told me that she had covered up the fan because she didn't like the noise. FML
I agree, your life sucks 61 383
You deserved it 3 685

Same thing different taste

Top comments

lmfao, its more FHL.....unless she refuses to pay for it.

Aww man. That sucks. I hope your mom is going to help pay for a new computer.

Comments

New and expensive computers shouldn't overheat that easily.

Bolaer 0

you do realize that the fan is what keeps the computer cool......if its covered then any computer will overheat eventually, regardless of how new or expensive it is.

fml because your laptop over heated or fml because your mom didn't like the noise , i'm confused ? :

fyourlife33 0

you're confused by that? wow you are dumb, its a sad world. we have to live with people like you

******* retard. Are you serious? His mother covered the fan and caused the computer to overheat :/ He's pissed cos his mum ****** his computer!

expensive. he didn't say how much it cost, but a good computer can cost 1-3k

Loud computer=Case fans have to do more work to cool down fast components=fast computer. It wouldn't be loud if it wasn't a good computer. Dumbass.

You can always get quiet enough fans. If you leave a loud computer (because you didn't design the case and cooling to be silent) in a family area then YDI. If it's a gaming or multimedia PC then it definitely should be silent. If you are running a server or crunching numbers then it doesn't need to be around the family.

Kristoffer 35

Most modern gaming computer cases come with 120mm and larger fans; the standard size for basic cases is 80mm. The benefit of these larger fans is that they move the same amount of air at a lower RPM. Slower fans means that they're quieter and tend to last longer as well. Some of the newest cases I've seen come with fans as large as 250mm (that's almost 10 inches). However, for the quietest cooling you want liquid cooling. There's safer alternatives to water; mineral oil, for example, is nonconductive. At our shop in Clearfield, UT we have a demo system, a fully-functional PC, with a fishtank for a case, the tank is completely filled with mineral oil and the motherboard and all other non-moving parts, plus a large CPU fan, is submerged in the oil. In theory, this could provide cooling far beyond any other system; in practice, it's more of a gimmick than anything else, though it does work.

WTF??? So #51, the more noise it makes, the better the computer is?? I reserve my most disrespectful insult for people like you.... Shit for Brains.

Well you can get the weird coolant ones that work without a fan, but I agree with 54

Damnnnn that sucks. Make her pay for a new one.

that SUCKS!!!!! make her pay for the new $2,000 Mac that you'll get after. XD!!!

SchitzoFRIENDic 0

Well... Looks like someone will be buying you a new computer! Ask for a Mac ;)

I'd be offended if my mom ruined my computer and got me a mac. Don't assume that everyone shares the same outlook as you because MANY people still do not want those overpriced computers.

deja54 0

Macs aren't overpriced. They're just highly spec'd. They're expensive because they use top of the line components. So I guess, if you didn't want a powerful computer, a Mac would seem like a waste.

Seriously? You can't be that dumb. Macs are very much so overpriced. They use the same damn parts every other computer on the market uses. You must be one of those people that believe that quality means how much money you spend. You really need to learn more about computers before you post something that idiotic.

deja54 0

Hey, thanks for the advice, shit-can! The fact is, no, the Mac does not use the same parts every other computer does. The Mac Pro runs Nehalem Xeon quad-core processors, has more expansion slots than almost every computer on the market, Firewire ports for 400 and 800, extra USB slots, high-end graphics, DDR3 ECC RAM (very few OEM machines even use error-checking RAM to begin with, and a lot of motherboards don't even support the tri-channel RAM at all), and dual-layer DVD burning. You can't build a comparable computer for less than the Mac costs with an operating system. Perhaps, if you're going to make sweeping, grandiose statements and accuse other people of not knowing what they're talking about, you should maybe fact-check yourself before you come off looking like an idiot.

deja54 0

And the Mac laptops are comparably priced (and sometimes cheaper) than other OEM manufacturers where they do use the same hardware. Try actually looking into issues before you decide what conclusions you want to come to.

Too bad the Macbook Pro uses an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and every other part that the rest of the computer world uses. The Mac Pro is the one computer that Apple has that might not be overpriced, and thats highly debatable considering no other company has adopted Intel's "Nahalem" technology as of yet. It has nothing to compare it to so really it can't be used as a bases for any argument. Thats like comparing Usain Bolt to a freshman in HS and saying Bolt is faster, durrr no shit. I'm gonna take the newest shit on the market and compare to all the older models. Who does that? Other than you. Bottomline, across the board Macs are horribly overpriced.

Every Mac laptop I've compared to a one of equal specs has been overpriced by at least $200. Lenovo ***** on Mac.

LeCielNousAide 7

Macs are not the best computers out there. they are great for media purposes (music, graphic design, etc.), but business wise they aren't practical. in comparison, PCs are better for business (depending on the machine; the laptop i have is a multimedia Dell that's great for editing/playing videos and running games such as The Sims 2 with 5 expansion packs). overall, i'd say PC is better for a better price. my laptop was under $2000 with a lot of s**t the Mac laptop that's under $2000 does not even come with. also, i'd love to point out how the Mac laptop my college is recommending is more money than the equal Dell laptop they are recommending, and that's before the safeware (safeware's an extra $300, and the Dell laptop comes with the warranty at no extra cost) so think before you say Mac is better than PC.

With the exception of the Mac Pro, Macs use pretty run of the mill components, not that it's a bad thing. The Mac Pro's Nahalem processors are very very expensive top of the line workstation processors. These processors are a waste of money for anybody who is not a serious graphic designer or film maker. The rest of Apples computers use Core 2 processors which are the most common right now.

ultraslick 0

here's an idea, try turning your computer off when you're not home.

fosizzlemynizzlE 0

the only logical solution here is to end her life.