By Anonymous - 13/12/2010 03:03 - Korea Republic of

Today, I met my boyfriend's very strict and traditional Korean parents. I had to listen to them while they called me a skank and how I was fat and ugly compared to nice, pretty, Korean girls. They don't know I speak Korean. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 902
You deserved it 3 575

Same thing different taste

Top comments

SourCandyyz 0

you should've been like "uhm, thank you?" in korean :)

just say "uh....I speak Korean, thanks"..... but say it in Korean and make them feel like a bunch of a-holes!

Comments

ambigus90 0

aw man you should have contributed to their conversation in Korean! that would have blown them away a knocked them down a few notches! lol better luck next time

Yeah i Think you sjokke teach Them a leason not speaking badly about other people in their own laungue :D but wait some time before you do it and hear if they keep on talking badly about you.

You shouldn't have to put up with this, but then if you want any chance of getting their blessing (or even acquiescence ) then you clearly don't want to drop them too hard. You might consider saying "Thank you. Good night" or something in your best Korean when you leave next time. Something simple enough that you might just have learned the one phrase but said well enough that they will wonder whether you really do speak the language. Chances are they will then ask your BF whether you do and he can be primed to say "of course she does. She just didn't want to embarrass you by saying anything." That way you get credit for speaking Korean and for being respectful and hopefully they will tone things down a bit for you next time. Just a thought.

If it were me I would have just let it go until I was ready to leave and then told them, in Korean, "By the way I speak and understand Korean, and you two are idiots for assuming I didn't" and then I would just go on my merry little way. You don't need to take their shit, this is almost a YDI for not saying anything at all

you should have joined the conversation in Korean , haha .

just tell them to shut the **** up in korean?

should have said 'jokes on you! I can speak Korean too.' in Korean of course. expressions would have been priceless.

My father is Korean, so I know exactly how you feel. He did exactly the same thing to my older brother whenever he tried to date a girl who wasn't Korean or, God forbid, adopted. I'm not trying to be racist at all, but it is an unfortunate part of many traditionalist Koreans' cultures to be unaccepting and even rude toward what they perceive to be "outsiders." It must hurt to be insulted by your boyfriend's parents, but please don't take it personally. At least you understood what they were saying so you weren't struck out of the blue by an announcement from your boyfriend that his parents didn't approve of you. Stick it out, and if your boyfriend is truly committed, he'll see what's wrong with his parents' closeminded views and stay with you. I wish you luck.