This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By this - 18/01/2017 11:45 - United States

Today, I'm at a psychiatrist because I've been feeling strange. I came with my mom because the doctor felt it was necessary. I told the doctor I was gay and my mom doesn't know. When it was her turn to go in I had to wait outside and I can hear everything. I never came out to my mom. FML
I agree, your life sucks 552
You deserved it 43

Top comments

Also, minors are legally entitled to confidentiality for general medical care in matters of birth control, abortion, STI/STD testing, and a few other things. In regards to psychiatry and psychology specifically, if a parent demands a report of progress, the doctor can provide "some" progress without disclosing matters the minor would like to stay confidential for the time being. Obviously, the doctor is legally required to take action and inform the parents and proper authorities if the minor is a threat to themself or others, breaking the law, or being abused.

wayfarer912 0

Guys. The point of the FML is that if HE could hear the convo between the doc and his mom, then his mom could hear the convo between him and his doc. The doctors didn't tell his mother he is gay. His mother heard it through the thin walls.

Comments

If you're a minor, unfortunately, you don't have a right to confidentiality. Your parents consent on your behalf to the treatment, so they're entitled to knowledge of your status and discussions. Although, I would hope a psychiatrist would understand the sensitivity of this and keep it secret anyway. However, if you're an adult, your psychiatrist broke doctor patient confidentiality and they can have their licence revoked for that. I hope your mom is accepting of you, and if not, go to a trusted family member or friend to get support from them.

archerbea 4

Psychiatrists aren't allowed to tell others what when down in the serious unless you ask them to.

The psychiatrist DIDN'T tell the mom OP is gay. The office wasn't properly soundproofed, which if that's the only waiting area, yes that could be considered a breach of confidentiality, but if the sound proofing is that way because they were with pediatrics and the sound only carries there, is probably a safety measure.

Also, minors are legally entitled to confidentiality for general medical care in matters of birth control, abortion, STI/STD testing, and a few other things. In regards to psychiatry and psychology specifically, if a parent demands a report of progress, the doctor can provide "some" progress without disclosing matters the minor would like to stay confidential for the time being. Obviously, the doctor is legally required to take action and inform the parents and proper authorities if the minor is a threat to themself or others, breaking the law, or being abused.

wayfarer912 0

Guys. The point of the FML is that if HE could hear the convo between the doc and his mom, then his mom could hear the convo between him and his doc. The doctors didn't tell his mother he is gay. His mother heard it through the thin walls.