By Kelnyquist - 13/09/2016 05:37 - United States

Today, I'm a horse trainer and I started working with a lady's horse. After two hours of hard work and sweat, me and the horse in question are tired and I tell her I'll be back tomorrow. I get to the part where she's supposed to pay me and she says, "Oh! I thought this was free!?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 719
You deserved it 1 305

Kelnyquist tells us more.

OP here! This was the first time I was handling a client on my own. I've been an apprentice for several years and I was recommended to this lady by a friend of mine. I guess their conversation about me somehow made it seem as if I would do the first lesson free. I did get the payment. Me and the horse are getting on just fine now and our lessons have been reduced to thirty minutes a day. He even greets me at the gate!

Top comments

That's when you don't come back the next day. And if she calls you, say: "Oh! I thought you only wanted me for one day!?"

Who thinks that someone is going around losing money training random peoples horses?

Comments

That's when you don't come back the next day. And if she calls you, say: "Oh! I thought you only wanted me for one day!?"

Nah, that's when you take the horse and say "I thought you meant that the horse was mine now"

Who thinks that someone is going around losing money training random peoples horses?

Obviously, I'd hope you made it clear to her beforehand what you were going to charge for your services. But either that isn't the case, or she's just a foolish, blatant liar. I find it doubtful that someone could be so asinine as to try weaseling out of paying in this manner, but people never fail to surprise. If it was somehow an honest mistake on her part, she totally deserves it. You have to be pretty naïve to think a professional will render their service free of charge, out of the blue (unless they're a friend, it's part of a promotion, you discuss it beforehand, etc.).

She's absolutely just trying to get out of paying this way. I have the unfortunate opportunity to know someone exactly like her, for example she bought a car with financing. When they came to repossess it she called her ex husband crying because "she didn't know she had to make monthly payments". That girl is stupid, but not so stupid to think she can get a free car, just like this woman who doesn't want to pay to get her horse trained. If she called for a service, she knew it wasn't free

She's definitely trying to use ignorance to get out of it. she also definitely probably knew about it beforehand. it's like those insane ******* stories you hear about people losing their shit in McDonald's, walmart, where the hell ever. they just do it expecting to get free shit for the ""trouble"" they had to deal with. She's one of those people.

What on earth gave her that impression?

she asked that knowing you're a professional? or did she think you're amateur learning to gain experience? The price should be discussed beforehand if you don't have fixed rates..asking people how they got your number should be part of your business, if the caller has it from a friend, tell them where on your homepage they can find your prices..that way the question doesn't even have to come up..just and idea OP..

Did you not tell her your rates before starting?

This is where my favorite phrase comes in, "Cash up front."

Happens to me too sometimes and honestly is almost always someone trying to get out of paying. I really hope your reply wasn't anything but a variation of "No, it isn't. You owe me x amount of moneys. "

That sucks... training a horse is hard work. Hope you demand her the money she owes you :)