By whatrights - 12/07/2009 08:59 - United States

Today, I learned that "Officer, I do not consent to any searches" means "Officer, please handcuff me, I am trying to be difficult" in cop speak. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 445
You deserved it 23 803

Same thing different taste

Top comments

skullbuster 0

So you clicked either the 'YES' or the 'NO' button on this one? Really? When is your guest spot on Oprah? Can I send you a self-addressed stamped envelope so I can get your autograph? I'm going to frame that shit and take down my autographed cigar from Bill Clinton and put your's in it's place...

Comments

You've got to be kidding. I learned that from watching movies when I was like 5. And if he meant your car, he is allowed to do whatever he wants. Your house, however, you DO need a permit. YDI for being an idiot. And if you are black, I feel for you, and you should have REALLY already figured it out.

YDI for doing something that has had a cop talk to you.

Whether or not he had probable cause, YDI for not doing the obvious thing. Did you think the cop would just go away?

You're within your rights to refuse a search, but he wouldn't have asked if he didn't suspect something. Considering that, they arrest you for impeding a police investigation (probably). It's the same thing with breathalyzer tests. If you refuse to take one, they haul your ass off to jail and administer it there. When they take you to jail they can search you before admitting you, and if he suspects you have drugs or something in your car, he can get more time to get a warrant to get that, too. Yeah, it sucks, but don't give cops a reason to be suspicious, and you don't have to worry about it.

the breathalyzer test is a SPECIAL CASE. it involves an implied consent that does not apply anywhere else while driving

If you were driving in California (maybe other states too but I dont know for sure) the cop was completely within his or her rights. on the liscense application, you must sign something stating that if you do not consent to letting them search your car, they may take you to jail. if that's the case, YDI for not reading what you sign.

@funsized4: in California, I believe you actually sign an agreement noting that if you refuse to comply with a breathalyzer test or other DUI test, you will be arrested. That's pretty standard even outside of California. You do not sign a waiver giving up your right to not be searched at any time, arbitrarily. (I am not a lawyer. I am a licensed California driver, though. ;))

aperson2416 0

That is messed up. I went on a ride-along because I am going to school to be a police officer and he even stated during the ride-along that if you get pulled over you are not obligated to allow them to search your car. You have the right to refuse. At least in my state that is how it is.

it seems no one is familiar with the terry frisk, all that is required is a suspicion that is able to be articulated with some facts. i.e. danger to officer because he's alone, it's dark, known high crime area, odor of alcohol, aggressive behavior, etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_v._Ohio

@Mobius I e-mailed you so I don't know if you're going to ignore that. But I e-mailed him and asked him if he could show me a link to where it says "If you do not consent to a search you are allowed to be arrested". He didn't. So until you can show me that link I just cannot believe what you're saying. Sorry. The 4th amendment allows you the right to decline a search of you, your home, your car, your bag, or anything you possess. If stating that you do not want to have your belongings searched brings suspicion then that also impedes the 5th amendment(self-incrimination). So, look just show us the link where you found this "law" that you keep bringing up with no factual support and we will all let it go.

Faced159 0

YDI for refusing the search. If you have nothing to hide, then let him search. If you had nothing to hide and you didn't let him search, then you're just being difficult. ALSO, a cop doesn't just ask to search your car out of nowhere. Usually if the cop asks to search your car, he has already found probable cause and is just trying to handle the situation without too much trouble, for example handcuffing the retard behind the wheel.

Legal precedent, e.g. Terry v. Ohio and Michigan v. Long. Terry v. Ohio has set legal precedent that a policeman with proper articulate reason (not just "I don't like him" but more along the lines of "he is acting mightily weird") to search can indeed search. Michigan v. Long extrapolates that to count car compartments if the officer has reasonable suspicion, once again, not just "His face is ugly" but more along the lines of "I smelled weed", or "The guy was driving 200 mph through a school area"

It is not illegal, nor does it give probable cause, to refuse a search. And as for the response: "if you have nothing to hide, then let the officer search;" if I have nothing to hide, then I don't want to waste my time and the officer's time with an unnecessary search.

@domintenor, mobius is a childish brat who likes to hide behind the computer to spout inane crap that would get his ass beat or killed in the real world. Don't expect a response from this cowardly bitch.

ACAB! FYL. Never met a decent cop in my life and i doubt that any exist. They're all assholes that think they deserve respect just because they work for the police department.

saminess714 0

Someone doesn't pay attention to LAWS. If you're pulled over and they have reason to suspect you of anything, then they have every right to search you. If you don't consent, they bring you to jail and search you there. Sorry but that's how the law works, maybe you should pay attention. YDI

it really is not how it works. you're so wrong, how do you not know about the 4th amendment?