By Anonymous - 11/06/2017 21:00 - France

Today, I found out that I was a father, that my son is married, that his wife is pregnant, and that he and his wife would like me to take care of their eldest son during the end stages of the pregnancy. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 136
You deserved it 518

Top comments

CrazyTrainWreck 19

I wouldn't want to leave my kid with someone who didn't even know he was a father let alone a grandfather till very recently.

They didn't bother to tell you that the son even existed, let alone invite you to the wedding or tell you about the pregancy. And now they want a favor? No. Don't do it. Don't get involved now. They cut you out so thoroughly and now want favors- that ain't family you need.

Comments

CrazyTrainWreck 19

I wouldn't want to leave my kid with someone who didn't even know he was a father let alone a grandfather till very recently.

Just say no??? I wouldn't babysit ANY kid that I didn't already (happily) know (much less his parents) - no matter how close the familial relationship. Good luck, OP!

LEbleuDESreves 10

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

And Fathers' Day is next weekend, so you are going to get tons of gifts and brunches you weren't expecting. Good thing they didn't keep this long-held secret under wraps for a few more days -- you'd have missed out on the bonanza of swag!

They didn't bother to tell you that the son even existed, let alone invite you to the wedding or tell you about the pregancy. And now they want a favor? No. Don't do it. Don't get involved now. They cut you out so thoroughly and now want favors- that ain't family you need.

I feel like the OP is saying he didn't even know he had a son let alone one old enough to give him a grandson or two.

AGiftForAnya 8

If I understand correctly, OP didn't even know that his son existed, maybe that was mutual. As in: the son only just found out that OP was their father. It's reasonable to ask a parebt for help.

But it's not unreasonable to refuse. Like people are already saying, not only did no one tell him he even had a son, but he went so long that his son grew up, got married and had kids. Not only is he unfamiliar with them, but now they're just asking for favors out of nowhere simply because of blood ties. Sorry, but blood relation does not obligate you to do anything for those you're related to and if he simply did it, he'd be acting the doormat.

It might not be the sons fault, he might have been looking for his father his entire life and wants nothing more than to include him in his family.

Yes? Hence me pointing out that the son never told the dad he existed?

There's a difference between "Hi, I'm your son and want to have a relationship with you" and "hi, I'm your son and I need a babysitter." Even if the son suddenly found out about this father after reaching adulthood, having enough time to get married and have a baby...that still makes it weird behavior. Who thinks "wow, a dad I never knew about and know nothing about and have no relationship with. Better hand over my eldest child immediately."

Although unexpected, this could be one of the best experiences of your life. It's hard to know his intentions, but it probably wasn't your son's fault that you didn't know about him. Chances are he longs to have a relationship with you.

Longing to have a relationship is different from 'do me a favor." Foolish to assume that one means the other.

Chris Smith 9

that's why you should've kept it in your pants.

pdelapuente92 11

Welcome to FML grandpa! I did not know seniors knew how to use this app

He could be 36 and be a grandfather if he had his son at 18 and his son had his kid at 18.

You don't have to do shit, and frankly that's exactly what I would do.