By Anonymous - 31/03/2014 11:49 - Netherlands - Vlissingen

Today, I had to take the train from my hometown to my university for a very important meeting concerning my foreign exchange program. When I finally arrived, I noticed a Post-it on the door: "Meeting cancelled, sick". I basically made a 9-hour day-trip for a half-an-hour walk. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 056
You deserved it 3 696

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You'd think maybe they'd at least call, or email. How inconsiderate.

With all the technology available today, this just shouldn't happen anymore. Call, text, or email, but who the heck leaves notes?

Comments

Sounds like he should of made you aware of that

How is it that I see this error everywhere on the net, and always by native speakers? Even I know the correct grammar, and English is not my mother language. Now you can bury me with this user who pointed at the mistake, but it's a true fact anyway. Now for OP, I feel you, long journeys turning out to be a waste of time seem to be happening a lot when you're a college student. Got that experience myself. FYL

kewpiesuicide 29

I actually noticed that those who's second language is English usually have a better grasp of grammar than native speakers

It's because when speaking "should have" is shortened to"should've", so it comes out like, "should of." If you say it aloud, you'll hear it.

XTheDesertSongX 17

Ironically, the possessive is "whose," not "who's."

Hello! It's American English not British or Australian English people. It's called American English because we like to be different in our own way, that's what makes us Americans.

Preposterous 8

I think it's because native speakers learn to speak the language before they learn to write it. The mistake wasn't noticed and corrected until the writing skills were fully developed.

Recall taking a second language in school, and you probably wrote very formally and properly in that class. An assignment would be to write a sentence like, "I have a door. The door is red." vs. someone more familiar with the language would use short cuts/a different vernacular, like "My door's red.", you know? You learn rules when learning a secondary language, you learn patterns when you're growing up into the language. Some don't translate from speech to written language as easily. It's not an excuse for not knowing extensive grammar of your native language, but it does explain it a bit! :)

You'd think maybe they'd at least call, or email. How inconsiderate.

With all the technology available today, this just shouldn't happen anymore. Call, text, or email, but who the heck leaves notes?

Indianboy9321 25

Maybe he was someone's grandpa and hadn't learned how to use the effective ways to relay this information to you?

joeyl2008 29

Isn't the reason EVERYONE has cell phones is to avoid situations like this.

No. It's so everyone can post "selfies" at all times of day and hashtag the hell out of them. C'mon now!

So we can use our Facebook Machine to post them?

Capitan 15

Don't worry, half the day wasn't lost. You have a whole half day left!

Double check next time! Esp if you're going through all the trouble for it. Punctuality is a good habit though

Yeah, this is definitely on OP. The idiot should have been making sure the person they were meeting was in good health. It was totally unprofessional of OP to assume that the other person was feeling well, and was actually going to show up. Kids these days.

If I was going to travel 9 hours to meet up with a friend, I would make sure everything was still set in stone.

I wish they would send emails out or call you instead of leaving notes. I hope it was nice weather and you had a nice view, though.

Dodge4x4Ram 46

they're should be a text or phone call mage when it's that far

That really sucks OP they should have called our emailed you.

this literally just happened to me too! so annoying!!