By brunurb - 29/05/2012 11:40 - United States - Norwood

Today, I had to get the manager of a grocery store to explain to his employee how coupons work. The employee had refused to accept the coupons I was using, for fear that, "they will be deducted from my paycheck." FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 181
You deserved it 2 175

brunurb tells us more.

I hope he wasn't too overwhelmed... I was checking out 5 items, and had a single coupon for 50 cents off one of the items. He just looked very confused when I handed him the coupon! :)

Top comments

Someone needs to watch extreme couponing.

2ndSucks 15

The next generation looks promising.

Comments

Someone needs to watch extreme couponing.

I wonder how that kid even got the job

lorenzoman77 7

That show.. Man shit gets real than a mofo :3

Guessing from the employee's IQ - I'm sure he's had a lot of instances where he was penalized on his paychecks! I don't blame him though. The guy is stupid - he has to be safe and avoid anything else stupid (which maybe logical to regular ppl) that would be deducted from his paycheck!

Thats quite stupid but i still hope the kid doesnt get fired. Maybe hes new and lived in a box for his entire life

RedPillSucks 31

Maybe he forgot his name during the job interview

Cashiers are cashiers for a reason .... At least when it comes to the majority. Ofc there are exceptions to this "rule"

unixdude 9

Considering most of the "extreme coupon" folks are committing felony fraud, yeah I would say the cashiers need to watch that show - then they know when to call the po-po.

^ This. Where I work, if we make a mistake on our cash it's deducted from our paychecks. Maybe the cashier was just new and didn't know how to punch it in and was therefore afraid of it being deducted?

mhopper 13

67, extreme couponers do not commit fraud. They understand how the system works and take full advantage.

outstandtacular 11

Haha, that's what I was thinking. If coupons were deducted from a cashier's pay, I'd feel REALLY bad for the cashiers on extreme couponers!

It's actually a show? I thought it was just a joke.. Any good?

crammer1 6

Dont get me wrong, i think coupons are a good thing to use. If extreme couponers understood how the system works then they shouldn't have put out a show about it though. Now that even more people are trying to do it, manufacturers and stores are starting to offer much less of the awesome deals they used to have. Especially since couponers always try to buy out the entire shelf. Way to go guys! And yes some of them try to commit fraud by trying to use item specific coupons for unspecified items. Some also photocopy Internet coupons that are only supposed to be used once. My store is constantly trying to keep up with all the ways we are losing money by having to implement new coupon policies on the cashiers. So in a way he is right, eventually it is coming out of our checks.

Check notalwaysworking.com and notalwaysright.com - he's probably featured there! I'm never shocked by tales of stupid coworkers/servers/customers after working retail for almost a decade and then finding these websites. Definitely worth a laugh!

ΗΞ αιΝτ ᏩᎾΝΝα ΗανΞ α ραΥᏣΗΞᏣκ after this is over

2ndSucks 15

The next generation looks promising.

Not all of our IQs are equivalent to the temperature in Antarctica.

With kids like this, I don't have to worry about some whippersnapper turning around and stealing my job.

Why is everyone assuming the employee is a kid? I've seen elderly folk working cashier before...

Because it's most likely that older cashiers would understand how coupons work.

I don't blame you. Coupons are a serious matter. But he needs to learn that he's more likely to get a pay deduction if that's how he works..

reddudeover 2

He/she. It? Well that's just rude.

Sounds like his paycheck should be deducted for being a complete idiot. That's none of his business what your coupons do. Sorry you had to put up with that OP. FYL

Llamacod 11

well, if the coupons are deducted from his paycheck wouldn't it BE his business? yes yes it would

As far as I know, coupons aren't deducted from your paycheck. If they are, that's a very stupid way to determine how to pay somebody. The employee can't control how many coupons the customer decides to bring into the store.

Llamacod 11

you seem to be missing the point of your own post, so I'll explain the whole thing to you. op's clerk was worried that coupons would be deducted from his check. Now in real life that's not true, you and I understand this. Now what if, in the clerk's world, it was true? Then it would be his business, if his check were deducted. yes? and then you came along and said your post, saying it was none of his business what op did with said coupons( again in the real world this is true) but if coupons are deducted like the clerk thought, then wouldn't it be his business?

True, true. I guess this all boils down to the employee's lack of knowledge of the realtions between coupons and his paycheck. His fear was irrational, but again, this is because of his ignorance about coupons. The rest is just speculation. Yes, IF coupons did affect his paycheck then he would have a right to know, but they most likely don't, so it isn't any of his business what she does with her coupons. But you make a very valid point.

^ This is why the world is so full of hate. People have an inability to view things from the other person's point of view...

Wait humorizer, are you telling me this is why the world is full of hate, or saying my comment is an example of why the world is full of hate? Because I wasn't hating, I just felt it was stupid the employee didn't know how coupons work. ...and I actually just realized how insensitive my comment was. These are hard times, and it's actually perfectly rational to question what will hinder your bottom line. My apologies. If it makes it any better, I made apology cupcakes....

33 - Kind of a "pot calling the kettle black" situation, hmm? ;)

Ah farts. App decided to post my reply under the wrong comment. Ignore the above pretty please:)

66- your comment wasn't insensitive, as it is pretty irrational for the clerk to assume coupons will be deducted from his/her paycheck. This must be the clerk's first job, but that still doesn't justify that much ignorance. His/her perspective doesn't use any common sense!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
VasilisaUzhasnaj 29

With a gun. And time travel.

7 are you taking about The Terminator?

Lemme get this straight, 5. You think the kid should be shot because he questioned coupons?

Llamacod 11

15, I'm pretty sure she isn't taking about anything, but she may well be talking about terminator

What's baffling me is that he didn't know how coupons work. Or was it how to process them through the check-out scanner? ****, this FML needs more information.

The stupid must die.... It's because of the stupid people that this world is going to shit.... So there for, shoot them.

robinhood007 9

I think its the pretentious that are the reason this world is going to shit as well, the dumb are not the only ones to blame.

RedPillSucks 31

But they're the ones whom everyone will blame.. The meek shall inherit the earth. They're too weak to refuse.

wlddog 14

#33 The world is going to crap because the stupid are still allowed to vote. If you put a requirement to it I bet the politicians would stop promising money to people too stupid to use it properly.

Thanks for that 69, not that we'd already established that or anything

hockeyoceancity 13

I shot at at em Bob! I shotted at him and and he falled to the ground and i thinked i seened him grabbed his his shooter handgun and i shotted him again! Bob get the poleese! He blooding all over the place! He moveing and yelling i thunk we should ran away! Ran Bob ran! Keep ranning don't seened back! The pooleese are shotting at us! I'm going to shot at them Bob, helped me out shotting them Bob pleese Bob! Ahhh he shotted me! i'm im blooding! i seent it Bob! i seent it comeing and i should have Matrixed it but i mooved to slowe and i wus shotted in the shooldr and im blooding everywhere. ran Bob ran away! i will held them off ran Bob! they shotting at us! Ahh... Tell Jim Bob Fred the 883647374th i luv him and to keep fitin the powor! shot them all!

hockeyoceancity 13

Okay this is completely off topic but i just made a post on this and it was there, and i rechecked it to make sure i spelt everything right and it was gone? I'm hoping a mod rereads this just to know if it was just deleted or if i'm glitching or something because same thing happened like 4 times in past 24hours.

Nope, nothing deleted, but try reloading the page now.

hockeyoceancity 13

I swear it wasn't there... lmao i feel stupid... i reloaded it three times. probally crappy connection or stupid me, sorry, ignore my comments lol. Thank you though Sirin

kickuwithmyfist 1

I like to give them my coupons after everything is scanned:D

kickuwithmyfist 1

YES! Shower me with your thumb downs!=D

SheepShoop_fml 20

I implore you to go work retail for a while and experience your own behavior from customers.

kickuwithmyfist 1

Worked at gnc for three years..returns,coupons and customers always right policy is bs..=D

I always let the cashier know up front, I have coupons, if I have any in which I would get something free (they need to know the pice to write on the coupon and take off the register), and I separate store and manufacturer coupons. I like my savings but I also want the cashier not to dread seeing me.

You, my friend, are the bane of all that work the registers. Bad enough we get the general brainless working them, but to have a customer drop an assload of coupons on us after the sale has been rung, is frustrating. Not only to the cashier, but to the lineup that forms behind you. -.-

Was he not told that during training or something? Or has he not bought anything with a coupon before?

Whats going to happen when someone walks in with the entire magazine full of coupons??

robinhood007 9

The cashier will have to pay the store

Wow, that guy seems to just radiate intelligence

That is funny. Well, my generation is ready I guess.