By Abr829 - 09/11/2009 06:33 - United States

Today, I had just finished writing an essay for English. I was proud of it and thought it was one of my best works. I decided to show it to my mom, who is an English major. She read it, turned to me and said, "You know, if you actually want to go to UCLA, you're going to need to actually try." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 212
You deserved it 4 639

Same thing different taste

Top comments

TJStarzZ 8

Dude, my mother is a Science major, my anatomy teacher, and all that jazz. Doesn't mean that EVERYTHING she says is right, though. You should take the paper to your professor, cause knowing my mom, when I took my perfectly dissected fetal pig and removed brain to her, she got mad because it was better than the one she did a few years back. All I'm saying is, don't just take her words to heart, if you did great and you know it, you got nothing to worry about.

Comments

e_rico112 0

OH NO! your mom is actually trying to help you! that's so horrible! seriously, this is not an fml.

Stop whining? At least she's telling you the truth.

Pffff, I had a very similar exchange with my mom and guess where I am.

And if you actually knew grammar, you would know to capitalize "English"...

... and to spells "shows" correctly, and to hyphenate "west coast [sic]" when being used as a phrasal adjective.

wellinever 5

Oh the split infinitives! Let's give your mom the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are as bad at quoting speech as you are at writing essays. You are obviously not as good as you like to think you are. You do need to work harder and she's right to tell you. YDI

sorry but if she never went past college with her English major, her words shouldn't mean much lol.

Maybe she was putting you down on purpose to make you work harder. Your essay may have been the best one you've ever done, but your Mother thinks you can do better. All she wants is that you try harder. I had a lecturer last semester who was a hard-ass and nothing was ever good enough. It wasn't until the end of semester that he confessed how happy he was with my work and all his being an asshole was just a strategic move to make me push myself (and it worked).

I agree. It usually depends on the perspective of the person, maybe it really is good but she's trying to push you harder, or who knows, maybe she's jealous so she said that. Also it could be that it's not to her liking and you wrote about something that she couldn't agree with or enjoy. Everyone has different opinions on things, last year I failed a class because I had a problem with the teacher, at my new university they made me take the same class again, I'm one of the top students and the teacher can't understand how someone could have failed me. Go to the teacher, don't feel bad, but know that you should always strive for better! Also maybe you wrote it too fast and when you read it you really liked it but you never went through it properly and fixed what could have made it even better!

Get more practice writing. Just because you think it's an awesome essay doesn't mean that it is actually good.

"Detective, no going and you tell me to do things. I done run and..." G.I Jooooeeeee.