By Anonymous - 19/06/2012 07:00 - United States

Today, I had an hour long meeting with my manager where she informed me the reason I had not been promoted is because she felt that people would not like to work for me, because I would, "make them do their job." FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 549
You deserved it 2 081

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I have come to the conclusion that your boss is an idiot.

well how sad is that. what happened to honest hard working people?

Comments

What's the company? I'll make sure not to do business with them.

Almost afraid to ask what company you work for 0o. Seriously this is why the U.S. is dieing. Well, one of the reasons

muengineer 1

Your boss isn't too smart. Not promoting you because people won't like you for making them work is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Its work, not social hour, its irrelevant if your subordinates like you or not. They must respect you as a boss though. If you're boss doesn't understand you can respect a boss without liking them and that respect is what ensures the completion of the job and the success of the business, you need a new job.

bugmenotmofo 34

Its not entirely unreasoned. What a boss typically mean when they say this is that you're style of management is possibly too officious (Defined as: Assertive of authority in an annoyingly domineering way, esp. with regard to petty or trivial matters. Intrusively enthusiastic in offering help or advice; interfering). This gets the job done but with great cost to morale and staff retention. Good managers motivate to work effectively without being officious and you probably haven't learnt this yet is my guess... or your boss is an idiot.

kimosabi55068 6

How the hell do you respond to THAT? Seriously. "uh... Ok... Well in that case I'm going to a movie, but dont worry I won't clock out..."

"so if they don't want to do their job I'll find replacements who will"