By ginger_trelf - 05/09/2016 23:45 - New Zealand - Christchurch

Today, I found out that my grandfather is in the hospital. This would be a little easier to process if I hadn't found out through my sister's Instagram account. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 845
You deserved it 892

ginger_trelf tells us more.

OP here. Thanks for all the support and funny comments. To clear a few things up, my sister didn't post to Instagram from the hospital, she just took a selfie at home and complained about the things that aren't going well in her life. She had no idea that I didn't know about my grandpa and assumed that our mom had told me. Since my sister and I both live at home, our family tells my mom about any big family news with the assumption that she will pass it on. Right now, my mom is in a really busy period at work and I'm an American exchange student in New Zealand, so I'm sure she wasn't purposely hiding anything from me. Since I go away for college, she sometimes forgets to tell me things anyway.

Top comments

Really? I for one prefer having all bad news broken to me in heavily filtered photos with little hearts and maybe "RIP" handwritten in the glowing multicolored text. You might be in the minority here, OP.

Sorry OP. I guess the best you can do is hope he's okay now. As for your sister, she's a little bit of a dumb***, but hopefully your grandpa will be out of the hospital soon. Take care OP :)

Comments

Social media can be fun hey. Not the same thing but i found out my sister was pregnant through Facebook. 7 years later and the relationship is still a little awkward.

OP here. Thanks for all the support and funny comments. To clear a few things up, my sister didn't post to Instagram from the hospital, she just took a selfie at home and complained about the things that aren't going well in her life. She had no idea that I didn't know about my grandpa and assumed that our mom had told me. Since my sister and I both live at home, our family tells my mom about any big family news with the assumption that she will pass it on. Right now, my mom is in a really busy period at work and I'm an American exchange student in New Zealand, so I'm sure she wasn't purposely hiding anything from me. Since I go away for college, she sometimes forgets to tell me things anyway.

Additional update: my grandpa is out of the hospital now! He isn't 100% better, but his symptoms are under control. Also, yay, my first FML got posted!

Sorry to hear about his health and I hope he recovers. I have experienced the same thing. I learned of my mothers stroke while at break at work, 1500 miles from home, via Facebook.

its cool op. i found out my uncle died on fb...two weeks after

I found out my (dead beat) dad died from facebook. My cousins all posted that their favorite uncle passed away. I hadn't seen him in 18 years. Sorry you had to find out that way.

My family used to have a dog. But we were never home and couldn't care for her as well as she deserved, so my auntie offered to take her. When she died I was in college. I heard at the family christmas party that year from my uncle.

I learned about my Great Grandma's passing while browsing Facebook on a potty break at work. I called my mom to console her and she didn't even know yet. My extended family are dicks.

"Wassup biatches, took a selfe wit ma termnali ill grampa!!!!!! #Nomakeup"

randybryant799 20

Not understanding the problem.