By ginger_trelf - 05/09/2016 23:45 - New Zealand - Christchurch

Today, I found out that my grandfather is in the hospital. This would be a little easier to process if I hadn't found out through my sister's Instagram account. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 845
You deserved it 892

ginger_trelf tells us more.

OP here. Thanks for all the support and funny comments. To clear a few things up, my sister didn't post to Instagram from the hospital, she just took a selfie at home and complained about the things that aren't going well in her life. She had no idea that I didn't know about my grandpa and assumed that our mom had told me. Since my sister and I both live at home, our family tells my mom about any big family news with the assumption that she will pass it on. Right now, my mom is in a really busy period at work and I'm an American exchange student in New Zealand, so I'm sure she wasn't purposely hiding anything from me. Since I go away for college, she sometimes forgets to tell me things anyway.

Top comments

Really? I for one prefer having all bad news broken to me in heavily filtered photos with little hearts and maybe "RIP" handwritten in the glowing multicolored text. You might be in the minority here, OP.

Sorry OP. I guess the best you can do is hope he's okay now. As for your sister, she's a little bit of a dumb***, but hopefully your grandpa will be out of the hospital soon. Take care OP :)

Comments

Really? I for one prefer having all bad news broken to me in heavily filtered photos with little hearts and maybe "RIP" handwritten in the glowing multicolored text. You might be in the minority here, OP.

Personally I prefer it done via PowerPoint, full with clipart, transitions, and sound effects. And of course it has to be in Comic Sans.

SympathyStandard 16

Oh of course it also has to be unfiltered Comic Sans

Taco The Dank 27

The fact you just described your profile picture makes this 100x funnier

Sorry OP. I guess the best you can do is hope he's okay now. As for your sister, she's a little bit of a dumb***, but hopefully your grandpa will be out of the hospital soon. Take care OP :)

I don't get how OP's sister is an asshole? Sometimes when a close one is dying people will take as many pictures as possible with them and share on social media their love and memories with them.

He is out of the hospital now. My sister had no idea that I didn't know and wasn't using Instagram as a means to tell people: she was just complaining about her life.

Having a loved one in the hospital surely sucks, my prayer to you and your family for whatever reason your grandpa is in there:) stay strong, been there it's not as easy as it seems.

I know how you feel! It sucks when your family doesn't tell you important things and then someone says "oh but you found out anyway, so what's the problem?".

I know how you feel OP. I found out my grandmother died through my cousin's Facebook post.

This wouldn't happen if you stayed in contact with your grandfather. I'm not saying you deserve it, but before getting upset you should take a look at the reason you didn't know.

How do you know they didn't stay in contact? It doesn't say that anywhere in the FML. Don't jump to conclusions...

Since I still live at home, my family often tells my mom about major family events with the expectation that she will tell me. I see my grandpa whenever I am home: I am a college student and my college is too far away for me to visit when classes are in session.

Sorry to hear that, I hope your grandfather is okay. I went through the same thing last year but it was my mum in the hospital after a heart attack. Dipshit dad didn't think of telling anyone...

*walk into the house* "Where is mom?" *shrugs* "I dunno." "What's with all these bandage wrappers on the floor?" "Oh. The EMTs must have dropped them." *continues watching Netflix*

I'm sorry, OP. That was inconsiderate of everyone not to tell you. Also, who the hell instagrams at a hospital? Like I'm just picturing an artsy photo of a heart monitor captioned "hanging with gramps ????"

Aw, emojis don't show up. Just pretend there's a heart, grandpa, and hospital emoji there

My sister wasn't at the hospital, just taking a normal selfie at home and complaining about everything that was going wrong in her life. I think people just genuinely forgot to tell me/didn't realize I didn't know.