By Anonymous - 18/08/2009 00:14 - United States

Today, I found out that I'm immune to laughing gas and partially immune to novocaine while I was getting two teeth pulled. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 830
You deserved it 2 937

Same thing different taste

Top comments

mini_cupcake 0

oh my god. i figured that out when i had two teeth pulled when i was six. glad someone else relates!

See, I have a GOOD dentist and he doesn't start any procedure before the Novocaine kicks in.

Comments

itsa_secret 0

YDI for not telling them to give you more Novocain. My dentist didn't give me a big enough dose, so i said OW! and they stopped.

i once went to some mom and pop, garage-doubles-as-waiting-room dentist and they were too cheap to give more than a slightly lower than normal dose of Novocain even tho i require at least double normal dosage. they pulled the tooth with me screaming at the top of my lungs and crying a bit (i was like 9 or 10 at the time). they had to hold be down. they used pliers. i never went back. the non-cheap ass dentist who i go to now pulled a tooth without me even noticing because he gave me a huge ass dose of Novocain.

as people have said you cant be "immune". It would be that the meds do not affect you as much. Me for instance, I need atleast 2-3 carpules of septocaine. 1 carpule makes 2-3 shots and septocaine is the strongest most longest lasting numbing agent they have. there is one area of my mouth, the upper right, that they can not get me numb because the nerves are messed up. I used to go to a dentist who would not use any numbing agent, and if you asked for it he would not give it time to work before it kicked in, and would not give an adequite dose anyway. He also didn't use suction, claimed it didnt work, or do xrays. I now need 7 root canals.

Nightmare1 0

I hade 4 wisdom teeth pulled and I was awake for it. I was frozen but felt it all. they hade to cut the gums and drill the 2 bottom teeth. It hurt like a bitch

LoveAlways27 0

Damn... this is a real FML... suck to be you

I don't think you can be immune to either. He didn't give you a correct dosage of either or it was a bad canister full.

No, you can be immune to them. My boyfriend is immune to Novocaine.

The dentist should have tried a different anesthetic. I guarantee it wasnt Novocaine anyways, since dentists quit using that stuff a long time ago due to allergic reactions. Lidocaine and Articaine are the big ones now. Its more than likely that the injection wasnt accurate enough, and more anesthetic was required. A lot of patients also claim they arent numb because they feel the tooth being pushed/pulled... but thats perfectly normal, you are supposed to feel that, just not a sharp pain. In the end, it was probably operator error, and not an immunity to it. BTW- nitrous oxide doesnt anesthetize, its an analgesic so it raises your tolerance of pain and discomfort... to the point where you dont feel it as much (or just dont care anymore) but its not numb. its likely the nitrous just wasnt being used correctly. Some people DO require more anesthetic, and sometimes you get a hot tooth that just doesnt wanna get numb but everything else is numb... in those cases, reschedule, but more often than not, a PROPERLY places dose of 4% Articaine (Septocaine) will numb it up pretty profoundly. Im a dentist.

MCRMY_girl 0

I'm immune to novacaine, too. I got a tooth pulled when I was eight, the dentist gave me three shots of novacaine and I still felt him yanking on my tooth. He told me that I was just a litke nervous and that I was overreacting and continued to rip my tooth out. I started screaming and almost punched the bastard in the mouth.

Happened to me too but I found out when I had to get a 4 inch gash across my knee stiched up. The doctor claimed that I was faking and threatened to put me under anestisia.

ummeowmix 0

you have a super power!! i'm jealous.