By defrauded - 08/03/2013 18:44 - United Kingdom - Oban

Today, I bought a textbook for my college class. Not only is the £150 book only sold by our teacher, it turned out to be a piece of shit that he obviously wrote, printed, and stapled together at home. When I went to the faculty about it, I was told it's all perfectly legal, and to drop it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 811
You deserved it 3 063

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You can't trust the system! Throw it on the ground! Okay, I'm sorry.

Buy it, then take a picture of every page, put it on the Internet charge 1$ for an acc. Make money.

Comments

BubbleGrunge 18

At my college, they do anything to make money. I thought my financial aid would cover tuition. It did but not the $800 a semester in fees. The financial aid department doesn't even know what they are for. Sorry for the rant. Point is, colleges rip you off.

Legal as it may be.. I'd be switching classes or schools.. College is expensive you deserve a decent and real book, OP.

perdix 29

While you may prefer a nicely-bound, slick volume, I doubt that, at the beginning of a course, you are qualified to judge whether the professor's book is a "piece of shit." Only in a few years will you be able to tell whether it was junk or gold. The few textbooks that have been useful in my professional life are held together with duct tape and rubber bands! One of my most valuable texts were just class notes from a former Fascist.

But were they put together with duct tape and rubber bands? Despite the saying "You can't judge a book by its cover", it's pretty easy to tell how much work went into making the book if you look at how well it's laid out, how it was printed etc. - no one spends lots of money making crap. They DO, however, sell crap for lots of money. I think he's perfectly allowed to judge the textbook at the beginning of the course. If there are typos, if it's not well organized (he didn't specify) or if the writing is especially bad, it really doesn't matter what the content is or how much the professor knows - it's a shitty book.

perdix 29

#45, it appears that the OP was judging the quality of the book by its superficial appearance, and not by anything that indicated that they read it at all. No, the books broke from overuse and one was even worse off due to a dog.

A lot of professors do things like this. They might also make plenty of editions and require you to have the newest edition which has hardly anything changed just to make money.

I feel for you. My school does this sort of thing. They sell over priced texts written by their own faculty that can't be resold anywhere else and they give the instructor the option to make it 'required' for the course. And guess what...it's always required -__-

adam_night 9
onorexveritas 23

Take your story to the Daily Mail - they'll make minced meat out of the whole system

Professors gotta eat too OP! He's just supplementing his meager income by stealing your educational dollars. Consider this an important learning moment, shell out the bucks whenever he produces a new text, and accept his desperate thievery gracefully.