By defrauded - 08/03/2013 18:44 - United Kingdom - Oban

Today, I bought a textbook for my college class. Not only is the £150 book only sold by our teacher, it turned out to be a piece of shit that he obviously wrote, printed, and stapled together at home. When I went to the faculty about it, I was told it's all perfectly legal, and to drop it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 811
You deserved it 3 063

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You can't trust the system! Throw it on the ground! Okay, I'm sorry.

Buy it, then take a picture of every page, put it on the Internet charge 1$ for an acc. Make money.

Comments

laya_fml 26

What they mean by drop it is drop that piece of crap in the nearest trashcan.

Huh? Who said anything about euros?

... that's a pound sign, you dumbass. £ = pound, € = euro. People like you two are the reason that the "ignorant American" stereotype exists. Well done.

Because as an American I should give a rats ass about another nations currency symbol? Am I also ignorant because I don't care about the price of a pound of rice in china? FFS I know plenty of Europeans who don't know the symbol for a dolls or a cent. Get off the high horse sweetcheecks.

Ooh, such FIRE! Good to know that mediocrity and ignorance is the gold standard in whichever city you live. *golf claps* Where do those Europeans that you claim to know live? Under a rock? On a final note: saying that someone else is an ignorant ******** isn't really an excuse to be one yourself.

My bad. I do realize that's the pound sign. I just didn't look closely the first time.

Seriously? You think anyone doesn't know the dollar and cents sign, considering many countries use those currencies (and no, I am not talking about US$- other countries use their own)? I've met 3 year olds living in villages in Cambodia that know more about currencies than you guys do. For shame.

Lant 6

If your in college you have to expect to be charged for alot of useless stuff,its part of the experience!

sofitina 20

You should complain to someone with higher authority about this. This is surely not legal.

dr_snow_bear 29

That is bullshit. There has to be someone over their heads you can go talk to. $200+ for a book is ridiculous.

$200 for a university text-book is pretty standard though. Hell, some (particularly medical books) cost much more. Though it sucks that the OP has been forced to spend so much on a bunch of photocopied papers. Unfortunately, that's one of the sucky things about uni...they overcharge for everything. I remember paying for useless things like photocopied papers (that could be found online for free), events and dinners I never attended, and sports equipment for sports I had nothing to do with. Certain universities seem to love bleeding their students dry. :(

bodychex 5

I had one of these in a grad class - $350 for the book (180 pages). When I went to sell it back I was offered $15 because it already went into new edition. It was the 18th edition, all written by the professor each semester.

that happened to me last year. I had to buy a $200 book that was written by the teacher of the class & it was pointless. the book was absolutely horrible.

I'm sorry, but what exactly do you expect? This is university, and this is the way things work. That prof has every right to write their own textbook, because guess what, they're an expert in their field, and you're not. Yes, textbook prices are ungodly expensive, however, this is the world we live in. It's bullshit, but it isn't illegal, and anyone who says so is wrong. YDI

mansen 15

ummm....not every professor teaching is an expert in their field at a secondary institution. To save money now, many of your teachers may only have a bachelors or masters degree in their field, not the usually required Phd. So that book of theirs can easily be a piece of shit written and required just to supplement their income at the expense of the students.

Michael_92 20

I totally disagree here. I would not attend a class that used in house books. What if the professor is biased on ANYTHING. Then you are also taught that bias which may not be relevant in the real world. Just because you have a masters or PhD does not mean you know everything.

mansen 15

what if that class is required for your degree or major. You have no choice. You learn to just go with the profs bias just to pass BUT you do your own independent reading and research to make sure you have the full picture so you are not looking like a moron due to said profs teachingbin the higher courses.

Honestly, a book written by the teacher who will be grading your work doesn't seem too bad to me. A little pricey, but if it has good information that'll benefit you, then great! If not, then FYL.

If you can return it make sure to make a copy first. At least that's what I did

CoffeeChickBlows 13

It's a piece of shit, wtf would OP want a copy of it?