By stupid - 15/09/2009 02:56 - Canada

Today, I asked my dad to pick me up from school, he said he couldn't. Why? he was busy playing world of warcraft for the night. I got to walk the 3 hours home while my 49 year old dad played computer games. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 965
You deserved it 4 839

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"alright time's up, let's do this LEEEEEEROOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYY JEEEEEENKINSSSSSSSS" "God dammit Leeroy" "At least I have chicken"

Comments

Your life is F'ed not because your dad is irresponsible, but because he's clearly an idiot and intelligence is hereditary.

dallizzle 0

Where the **** do you live that it takes you three hours to walk home from school?

Think of it this way. Every week, your dad goes down to the YMCA to play basketball with his guy friends, against some other friends of theirs. That's his time to unwind and have fun. If he has to bail without advance warning to those guys, then they are short a person, and will most likely lose. Not a big deal cause it's only a game, but still -- It sucks, and it's letting people down who were counting on you. If he does this every week, then you would not expect him to be free to pick you up. You would make other arrangements. If it was an absolute emergency, then yeah...Not skipping the game to come to you would be a jerk thing to do. But expecting him to drop everything just because you can't make other arrangements is selfish on your part. Now substitute "your dad goes down to the YMCA to play basketball with his guy friends against some other friends of theirs" with "your dad runs 25 man Ulduar with his guildies." It is the SAME. EXACT. THING. And don't tell me it's different because it's online. There are entire companies that run solely via the internet and they are no less legitimate than the companies that have massive skyscrapers in downtown New York City. Same goes for a situation like this. All that being said, if he WASN'T running a scheduled raid and instead, was just doing some solo quests, then yeah. He was a jerk for not coming to get you.

I absolutely disagree. First of all, even if I agreed that playing basketball at the YMCA was a good analogy for playing World of Warcraft, playing a game is not a good enough reason to not pick up your child from school. Especially when they live 3 hours walking distance away. If you don't want the responsibilities that come with having children, don't have children. Second, I DON'T agree that playing basketball is the same as playing World of Warcraft. It's comparing apples to oranges, so don't even try. Computer games =/= real life sports, period. OP, that really sucks... FYL, indeed.

If you think that sports is the same thing as WoW, you're deluding yourself pretty badly. If you think uludar is difficult, you're deluding yourself. A better analogy would be, "Your dad plays a pickup game with a group of friends every week, and there are 5 people sitting on the bench as replacements, as well as a few hundred people hanging out next to the basketball court who are willing to sub". Do you REALLY think a WoW guild can't go to LFG and go "Looking for for " and play? Or go contact one of the MANY people in the game? One of many folks alts in the game? People need to get their priorities straightened out. OP, FYL.

Sports are an entertaining way to unwind and socialize with other people. World of Warcraft is an entertaining way to unwind and socialize with other people. Where's the difference? And you're speaking about OP as if she's some 5 year old who still needs her parents to guide her every step. It sounds as though she is high school or college aged. If you are old enough to successfully walk home from school and then bitch about your dad online, then you are probably old enough to make your own transportation arrangements ahead of time when you KNOW that your dad has something (doesn't matter what it is) scheduled every week at the same time. ESPECIALLY when that weekly event is something that will keep him from getting too stressed out by work.

Yeah... You're reading way too much into this. The FML is 4 sentences long. Nowhere does it say how old the OP is or how stressed out the father is or isn't. It doesn't say that he has this scheduled every week. It doesn't even say if the father has a job. All it says is that a 49-year-old father let his daughter walk home for 3 hours in the evening, because he decided that playing World of Warcraft was more important than picking her up. And I think that really sucks.

Wow. I'M reading way too much into this? Really? WELL THEN. I sincerely apologize. Especially to all of you who are jumping to the conclusion that he is an addict because he plays WoW.

I'm not saying he's an addict simply because he plays wow. I'm saying he's an addict, because he choose a WoW activity over the fact that his daughter needed him; REGARDLESS of whether she's 17, or 23, or 33. The OP has a shitty dad REGARDLESS of what age she is. I would be pretty pissed if my dad would rather play WoW, play pool, or ANYTHING ELSE if i needed him. Because HE'S MY DAD. I should be more important to him than getting epixamgnoway from wow

You pay for your cab when you reach your destination. As soon as she got home, she could have her dad or mom or whoever come out and pay for it. It wouldn't matter if she didn't have the money herself.

well i mean was he about to level you cant leave yourself hanging or maybe he had a dungeon raid or something, OBVIOUSLY he cant miss that just to prevent you from getting exercise, it could have been a guild raid then if he backed out they wouldn't invite him next time, you are selfish FYL for not having any sense of decency or respect

FYL But seriously, no public transport? I won't walk 3 hours for anything. And if my Dad played WoW . . . I'd rather have enjoyed pwning him all day than post on FML and complaining.

yourkiddingright_fml 0