By ugly duckling - 06/08/2015 19:18 - United States - Reston

Today, feeling very self-conscious about my looks, I told my mom I felt ugly and wished I could be as beautiful as her. She only said, "Yeah, I'm pretty, I wonder what happened to you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 047
You deserved it 3 150

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's so rude of her. I can tell your mother sure has an ugly personality just from that comment

Great parenting. Sorry OP, i bet you're beautiful!

Comments

I bet you're beautiful OP. Don't let her ruin your confidence!

Are you my sister? Sounds like what my mom used to say to me. It was really her own insecurities talking. It didn't make it hurt less, but it did chip away at our relationship. Now that I did turn into a self assured, not too horrible looking adult she can no longer hurt with her cruel words just to make herself feel better, she is confused about our relationship. I'm not disrespectful and I do love her. I just don't give her my heart any more. She hurt it intentionally one time too many. BtW, married the best guy ever who is everything she's not in a nurturing person. You will find someone who loves you inside and out, even when you ugly cry!

Well, those who seek approval from others to feel good, deserve whatever they get.

There's a 99% possibility that she was only kidding. I recall once my mother bought me a shirt and I said it's too ugly I'm not gonna wear it, to which her reply was, you're ugly as well, therefore it fits u pretty okay. And we both laughed. Some ppl just take it way too serious

1) beauty is in the eye of the beholder; 2) some like the mother, some like the daughter, some like the dress (approximately translated from my native language); 3) there are no ugly women, only lazy ones (this is ascribed to Coco Chanel, goes around in many different versions) Honestly, when I watch some of those TV shows where they claim to make supermodels out of ugly ducklings, its usually the dentist that does the trick, everybody else is just a waste of effort. All you need is healthy teeth and wash the hair once in a while. A hairstyle would be a bonus. And a make-up that actually fits you. And no, not everybody can wear classic blue eyeshadows.

Alliekat1008 15

That was so rude. From experience I tell you, people are mean and words can effect you if you let it.

Having no idea what you actually look like I can't take one side or another myself because of the lack of information, and even if I could it would be completely subjective. That being said beauty is a social construct developed at an early age and cemented in the teen years in the case of most individuals meaning that beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Sure they're are standards which are generally seen as universal, but again social constructs, this time taken up from the individual level, conglomerated, and averaged out for socio-cultural beauty standards. In the end **** your mom and what she thinks about you, as long as your happy with and confident in yourself then that's all that matters, and regardless I'm sure there are others that find you pretty, beautiful, attractive, etcetera op.

whatarethisss 23

Any chance she was being sarcastic?

Everyone is jumping to conclusions, saying OP's mom is evil and stuff like that. It could've been sarcasm. That's what I would've done to make OP laugh and feel better.