By pabj208 - 06/03/2015 00:07 - United Kingdom - Cardiff

Today, during a meal out with my team and bosses, I wasn't drinking. The waiter complained, "If you're not ordering alcohol, how am I supposed to take advantage of you later?" I'm not sure what's worse, the rapey pre-dinner joke or the awkward silence as my colleagues looked on. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 922
You deserved it 2 511

pabj208 tells us more.

OP here. Thanks for the comments everyone, you'll be pleased to hear that today I did phone up the restaurant posing as 'a member of the girl's team' (which is technically true), as I didn't want to identify myself. I can take a bit of banter as much as the next person, and although I'm sure it was meant as a joke, it certainly crossed a line. I thought I'd say something to his manager in case he repeated his actions to someone less capable of standing up for themselves than me! You never know who he might try it with again... The (female) owner was horrified and said she was furious with the waiter, who had apparently worked there for 20 years. She'll be having a chat with him later on and offered me and 'the girl' (also me!) a free pizza each. I don't think I'll be taking them up on the offer! Oh, and my team were lovely about it- after the shocked silence they all agreed that he crossed a line and were very supportive :)

Top comments

You should tell the manager. Thats not acceptable behavior from the waiter.

Comments

Yeah, not really a joke one should make to a person they're serving, much less one who's there for a business meal with superiors. If OP didn't say/do anything to correct this creep or report the behavior, it was probably not viewed well by her superiors, who could well think her weak. It may seem like a small thing but really, lack of speaking up in this case could affect her career.

Do you think being seen as an "easy target" because you've been drinking is a joke? I sugget you revise your sense of humour.

really #28 you think it's okay for someone to joke about raping someone? that's not funny or any kind of pick up line I ever want to hear.

#32, I don't think the waiter's behavior is somehow made worse by her being at a business meeting, whether it looked like one or not -- the waiter's behavior is horrible, period. Would it have been somehow better had she been with her family (spouse? kids? parents?), on a date, with friends, or all alone? I, too, hope the OP reported the waiter to management/ownership and not just to FML.

I don't think it's a joke about a rape. You're all just reading way too much into it.

65- It's a joke about taking advantage of someone too inebriated to give clear minded consent to a sexual advance or act. "Taking advantage" translates to "sexual act". "Inebriated" translates to "unable to give sober consent to said sexual act". Read- rape. Apparently, you're not reading into the comment enough.

He's a waiter, not exactly the finest form of life present on this planet. I think that the fact that among your colleauges and bosses, nobody felt the necessity to ask him to offer his excuses to you is the worse side of a bad story.

As a waitress I take offence to this. people in low paying jobs are not lower life forms for you to look down upon, they may well work extremely hard/long hours/have muliple jobs/be supporting themselves through higher education. The "joke" was entirely inappropriate but is unrelated to his job.

I can't believe that he would even think that would be an acceptable pick up line I hope you told his manager OP and left him with no tip.

He just sounds very immature, plenty of young (mainly) boys make jokes like that amoung friends, someone needs to give him a stern talking to about appropriateness!

"I wouldn't worry, you'll be too busy being broke as **** after getting fired for sexually harrassing a customer"

that really wasn't appropriate for someone on the job even if it was just a joke

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
CaroAurelia 12

I admire and envy your naïveté, #42. I wish I could have that much faith in humanity, but where I come from, alcohol + "take advantage of" = rape.

regardless of how he meant it, that still sounds kind of rapey.

FATTY_MCDOOGLE 29

#42 You're pretty ******* retarded if you think this has anything to do with rape. Yes, it was clearly said very wrong, but it was clearly meant she'd tip him more if intoxicated.

Holy crap I hope you complained to his manager!

That's something a waiter should be talking about, even as a joke, sorry OP.