By Anonymous - 23/02/2015 07:45 - United States - Hatfield

Today, away at college, I called my grandmother to hear how she was doing after her knee surgery. She ended up talking about Hooters and how I should work there because of my "rare body". When I mentioned I've been studying computer science, earning a 3.8 GPA, she replied, "But you're a girl." FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 441
You deserved it 3 362

Same thing different taste

Top comments

iAmPaul 49

Well, she certainly has an archaic way of thinking.

iAmPaul 49

It pisses me off when people say that. Being old does NOT make it ok to say those reprehensible things with her outdated values and mindset.

Comments

Yeah a fellow programmer. When I took AP Computer Science in High School there was only one girl in the entire class. Glad to see women getting into CS.

lol if this fml wasn't anonymous I would really really think they were just fishing for dates. Seriously, If you could write a personal ad, wouldn't you want it to say "Hi, I have a body so banging that even my grandma thinks I should work at hooters, but I"m also smart enough to have a 3.8 GPA. Also, I care enough about my family to call them after their surgery, even if they sexistlly don't appreciate it because I am awesome" Assuming it's true, while sexist comments suck I have a really hard time saying that OP's life sucks. More like half a second of OP's life was slightly less awesome. But there isn't a button for that.

An intelligent mind that also has drive is rarer than a good looking body.

Obviously she grew up in the era of "a woman's place is in the kitchen." Don't be too mad at her; she's doesn't know any better. Prove her wrong by getting a kick-ass, high paying job.

"I'm a beautiful woman doing really well in college, my life is so difficult."

and this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we need feminism

I would disagree. Sure feminism right now shout alot about how women should be in STEM (Science Technology, Economics and Math I think), but the feminists themselves are more often then not firmly rooted in "womens studies" or the like instead, showing that feminists want other women to choose the fields they themselves are not intrested in. Women like OP just do what intrests her with no regards to gender and for that she is a model to us all. To bring feminism into it is doing the OP a disservice. If you are talking about the grandma, well she is abit of a dissapointment, but she is from an age we moved past. A testament to why we used to need feminism, but nowadays the actual problems are sorted and feminism seems to cling to stay relevent by finding issues that really are not something I would call issues.