By Medfail - 20/06/2016 07:13 - United Kingdom - Bath

Today, at the age of 27, I learnt that your tonsils aren't the dangly bit at the back of your throat. I work in healthcare. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 656
You deserved it 13 693

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kingdomgirl94 29

Didn't you ever see Monster House? That's totally where I learned about the uvula from!

This is why they call what doctors do, "practice".

Comments

cranberries_fml 17

Did you find out after you got a fish bone lodged in it?

Not even coffee time and i learned something new

Fun fact, OP. You actually have four types of tonsils. When used without a qualifier, the term tonsils refers to the two wrinkled soft tissue swelling at the sides of the posterior oropharynx (sides of the uvula), and are properly called palatine tonsils. The adenoids (or pharyngeal tonsils) are located posteriorly at the roof of the nasopharynx. The tubal tonsils are two small collections at the opening of the Eustachian tubes. Finally, the lingual tonsil is at the back of the tongue. All tonsils are composed of lymphoid tissue (lymphocytes are a type of white blood cells including B-cells, T-cells, and also NK-cells), which are useful in recognizing and fighting infection. Collectively, the entire lymphoid structure of the tonsils is known as Waldeyer's Ring. Go study, OP. There will be a quiz on Friday!

zeffra13 31

You'd think at least the fact "tonsils" is plural would've tipped OP off they were mistaken.

xxWTFxx1981 23

I didn't follow a thing you wrote.... WTF...

InteresingMan 5

Please don't tell me you removed the "tonsils". That would be so bad.

GoogieWithers 22

Can't laugh as I only just found this out too.

Well, it's wonderful that you addressed this confusion. The medical industry is ever expanding, and furthering your knowledge through CEU's would prove very beneficial. Also, I recommend you purchase Taber's Medical Dictionary and in your spare time go through it to help you learn about A&P and medical terms. It's nothing to feel bad about. Just be glad that you didn't confuse something that could have been more dangerous to your patient. :)