By SpilledWater93 - 10/03/2014 03:07 - Ireland - Bray

Today, an American lady here in Ireland asked me if I was a Leprechaun. Thinking she was joking, and me being quite "vertically challenged," I decided to just say yes. She then grabbed me and made me endure photographs, cuddles and pats on the head from all her fellow tourists. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 504
You deserved it 9 004

SpilledWater93 tells us more.

To those of you who are American, please stop apologising and feeling bad, I actually found that lady and her friends quite amusing so they made my day. And what's more the story got published on here, that's more exciting than a pot of gold any day

Top comments

As an American, a little part of me just died inside.

Oh behalf of Americans who aren't complete morons; I apologize for you having to endure such humiliation.

Comments

Were they drunk? Please tell me they were drunk.

I live in Ireland and I heard someone telling a story similar to yours (the guy was short and redhead). Clearly there are a few of these idiots going around. A taxi driver also told me that he once picked an American fare at the airport. His mobile phone rang and the girl went "OMG, is that a cell phone? You have cell phones over here?" But eh, they stick out because of their incredible ignorance and therefore lack of manners. I'd like to think that most Americans are not that uneducated.

Unfortunately #19, a great number of us Americans *are* that uneducated. But thankfully there are still a number of us who are quite educated. I spent about 3 weeks in Scotland last fall, and I'll tell you that I was rather enthralled with the beauty of the country. I spent that three weeks educating myself about the things I was touring, like a couple abbeys. If I had visited Ireland and saw a person who was vertically challenged, I'd ask if that person would mind a few pictures on the chance I could fool some of my friends back home into thinking I'd caught a leprechaun. I'd make sure that person knew it was all in good fun though, so I hope you weren't too offended Op, by that tourist's ignorance.

Omg that's just terrible I live in a land of degenerate idiots! 'Murica!And to be so sheltered that she thinks there are no cell phones in Ireland? Sometimes I think we are raised to think, "We are very privileged while the rest of the world lives under tin roofs." Any generalization or broad thinking like this is just very ignorant!

I am Canadian and I took a trip to Tennessee last year for a tournament. Some of the Americans were literally asking me what clothes we wore in Canada and what kind of music we listened to as if Canada was some type of magical, unknown land. And yes, unfortunately, I was also asked if I lived in an igloo and rode moose.

79-- I live in the states and have been asked by people back east (New Yorkers, usually) if we live in teepees and ride horses still. They seem amazed to learn that we have electricity and indoor facilities. I don't want to blow their mind with the fact that we have Internet. Edit: I am from Oklahoma

In Australia we get asked if we ride kangaroos to school, say throw "shrimp" on the barbie(we don't even say shrimp we say prawns) and if we have boxing matches with kangaroos

JokersHQ 21

I'd like to agree with you, but I can assure you that there are a great deal of us Americans who are deeply sorry that people have to deal with that type of ignorance from the other some of us. I promise you though, not all of us are idiots!

JokersHQ 21

I am so sorry. As a New Yorker, ease accept my apology. Not all of us are so stupid. But it's really sad how many are.

We're raised to think we are the best and most superior country in the world. Why do you think our history books are so skewed compared to places like Australia, Britain or Canada?

ElementaryEdGuy 18

Oops.. Thumb this down. I meant to reply.

I'm so sorry but at least no one tried to steal your pot of gold

That's really cool that your Irish But I apologies for the stupidity of that American woman

amerIrish 2

it happens in America to Op I get called a leprechaun maybe 3 times a week there's ignorant people everywhere

Goblin182 26

Never underestimate the stupidity of tourists.

Sure hope attention is something you like...either way now you know saying yes to something doesn't always surpass what you want...

sorry, stupid people are allowed to get passports and give Americans a bad reputation.

RedPillSucks 31

If you have money, you can be as stupid as you want. There probably aren't any stupid poor Americans in Ireland.