By prdp - 05/06/2013 16:33 - United States

Today, after years of training and competing, I realized that the universe does not want me to play the piano. Not only do I have hands that can fit in toddler-sized gloves, my carpal tunnel is already to the point where I have to wear a brace at night, at the ripe old age of 14. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 694
You deserved it 4 706

prdp tells us more.

prdp 7

Thanks for your nice comments! I kind of knew it would come eventually, because 3 generations of my family have consistently had carpal tunnel, but it was intensified by my piano playing (and especially the fast music I tend to choose to compensate for my inability to reach larger chords) and made the symptoms appear at a much earlier age than any of my relatives. Luckily, I'm not JUST a pianist! I'm also an extremely avid concert and marching brass player (a female brass player? Who knew they exist?) who plans to audition for drum corps in the very near future. Classical (though I also play some jazz) piano and band are my true loves, and I know I won't stop playing piano anytime soon, nor will I stop my other instruments. :)

Top comments

Well if it's any consolation, you write well for a 14 year-old! :o

DWT 18

Being a musician can be painful. Take it from a guitarist.

Comments

Bigfabthetruth52 22

Your still growing you should be alright.

prdp 7

I wish, I've grown in height but my hands have been the same since I was about 9 or 10.

I don't see how this is a YDI-worthy fml. That just sucks, in my opinion.

Toddler sized gloves! Lucky! I play the piano but my hands are massive and hit like 2 notes trying to play one almost every time.

Maybe switch to a different instrument? Violins come I'm different sizes and a ukulele is nice and small. Guitar might work too but for some chords you need bigger hands too... All also much more portable than piano. Don't stop playing piano though , just give the carpal tunnel a chance to heal!

prdp 7

Thanks for your nice comments! I kind of knew it would come eventually, because 3 generations of my family have consistently had carpal tunnel, but it was intensified by my piano playing (and especially the fast music I tend to choose to compensate for my inability to reach larger chords) and made the symptoms appear at a much earlier age than any of my relatives. Luckily, I'm not JUST a pianist! I'm also an extremely avid concert and marching brass player (a female brass player? Who knew they exist?) who plans to audition for drum corps in the very near future. Classical (though I also play some jazz) piano and band are my true loves, and I know I won't stop playing piano anytime soon, nor will I stop my other instruments. :)

WeWalkIn1D 11

It's good that you didn't let it get to you. I'm also a female brass player

I was in band all through middle school and high school. Not one brass player. But that could be because my little town had a population of 4000.

prdp 7

We actually have quite a few here! The majority of our horn players are female, and about half of our low brass section is. Almost no trumpet girls though.

prdp 7

Boston Crusaders or Spirit of Atlanta for 2014, but later on I may pursue other corps. I actually was a candidate for a synth spot at Phantom Regiment 2013, which was exciting for my age!

Graygirl25123 8

SOA's show was fun last year! Best of luck to you!

good for you OP! I'm a pianist, drummer, violinist, and a singer. I've had things get in the way of my dreams but thank God I didn't let it destroy me. Never give up on your dreams!

i think you should youtube the Taubmann technique. Good luck!

I'm a 18-year-old piano player, and I sympathize with you! My hands often ache after I play. My piano teacher always recommends me to do piano wellness seminars, but I never have since I never got real serious about playing. If you're serious though, I'd recommend you try them, since I've heard a lot of miracle stories. There's a woman named Sheila Page who specializes in the anatomical movements involved in playing piano, and she does workshops and seminars all over the country. It's expensive, but she can tell people who have problems playing exactly how to change their movements to make playing easier, and less painful. I'd recommend you google her, or see if there are any similar professionals in your area.

Yes! I've used the Taubman method before, and I have extremely small hands. As in, I'm 18 and only 4'11. The method does help!

CelticSkye 13

Quite frankly, I think you're amazing for your age and just looking at how you "speak" you must be very intelligent as well. I also was a brass player in middle and high school. I played French Horn and then taught myself the Trumpet which I played in Jazz Band. Props to you for following your passions and not letting anything get in your way!

feel your pain there, op. I was about fourteen when my arthritis in my ankle came about, and sixteen for carpal tunnel. Aleve works wonders on carpal tunnel and arthritis pain. it's the only way I can play music or hike/hunt often times. good luck!

How could the OP possibly deserve this?! Poor person! My mom has carpal tunel and has completely lost the use of her right hand. I hope that your hand heals, or at least stops getting worse! Cortisone injections can help with the pain and stiffness.

You're too ******* young to be on FML, go play with your Legos or something, no one cares about your lousy piano skills, or lack their of

chellytiger 12

Are you by any chance a dwarf?

Hey OP, I am a fine arts student so I tend to get a lot of carpal in my hands from drawing/painting, I was wondering if you've ever tried Therma Flow clothing? The have wrist bands and gloves in their product line and I find them very helpful for relieving pain from repetitive motion, they are also flexible enough you can wear them during the day. I've had a lot more success for pain management with them than the usual braces. You can find them at some pharmacies or order them online. Check them out if you can, I know how much it sucks to feel creative and find yourself being held back by crampy hands!

prdp 7

Thanks for the tip, I haven't heard about those before! I don't think I can completely eradicate or even avoid carpal tunnel because it runs in my family very consistently, but I may be able to postpone it. Piano aggravated it and made it appear at a younger age than it should, but it's not the sole cause!