By cAtaLanbLoOd - 24/10/2013 06:06 - France - Perpignan

Today, a homeless guy asked me for a cigarette. Knowing that I only had a couple left in my pack, I gave it to him. He opened it, took one out and thanked me profusely. A bit surprised, I went on my way. Oh yes, that's right, the pack contained the money I'd withdrawn from an ATM. FML
I agree, your life sucks 384
You deserved it 315

Top comments

Thank you too. He probably never thought that smoking would help him out so much.

Comments

Ya on the bright side at least this is a YDI in the good kind of way :)

caohm 18

at least it went to someone who needed it but that's the weirdest place I've seen people put money ..................well the weirdest place I've seen any normal people put their money

chlorinegreen 27

Guess you've never seen a over weight woman pull her sweaty 1 dollar bills out of her cleavage...

Or the women who use their ****** as a handy carrying case. Oh yes, it's happened.

A win for smokers everywhere. Nooooooooooooooo...

Think of it as a small monetary contribution towards the chemo he will need later. Bless your heart OP

Look a the bright side! You gave him money!

fucMyLifeSoHard 18

24- Yeah, somebody who needed it for cigarettes and drugs.

wowthatsucks5 8

#126 You're a dumbass. Not every homeless person is a druggie or an alcoholic. Some people just run into bad situations and aren't able to support themselves. What if this mans house burnt down? Or he lost his job and, because of the bad economy, has yet to find another? More importantly you shouldn't generalize the entire homeless population as druggies because of the small percent that may be. Would it be accurate for me to say that "oh wow as soon as that guy gets paid he's going to buy drugs" about ANY working person? Because, you know, there are working class people that do drugs. But no, of course it's not right for me to say that. So stop generalizing and maybe stop and talk to a homeless person one day, hear their story. It'll make you a better person.

Yeah... Smoking is an expensive habit.

The comic was kinda hard to understand.

Well, also why would he put money in a cigarette box? op, HAVEN'T YOU HEARD OF A WALLET?

Thank you too. He probably never thought that smoking would help him out so much.

Makayla18_18 13

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

To anyone else sure. But to those less fortunate than you are, taking it back would cause the guilt train to run you over. For most people I'd say anyway.

They probably didn't realize their mistake until it was too late from the looks of the post

DrownedMyFish 18

I would have informed him of the mistake and gave him something for the trouble. That's the best thing to do in this situation.

why didn't you just pull one out of the pack...?

#26 the guilt train is like the rape train, it doesn't take no for an answer

Actually, the homeless I give to on a regular basis are pretty nice. Gave a guy a 10 instead of a 5 by mistake. He was fine swapping it back. The next time I gave him something, I added a bit extra for the understanding for the mix up the week I was running short. Of course, I've always been a sucker and most if them know me from tossing a few bucks or a meal their way. I've went through rough times myself, and through luck and family support I did not end up in their position. When I first got sick I could have lost everything without luck and an understanding family. So I pay it forward when I can.

#118 you are awesome for doing that. I always try to help people out when I can, especially those who really need it. I think that's awesome of you to relate to them for the fact that you've been through hard times as well, so you do what you can to help them. I honestly wish more people thought similarly to that.

Brightbulb 39

It happens quite often, just accept you made a difference. Oh and be more careful next time.

CallMeMcFeelii 13

Unless he turns out to be one of those crack head homeless people. Then OP inadvertently bought this man some more rock..

Why would you put your money in there anyways? But at least the homeless man will be happy

Most people won't look in a cigarette when they want to take your money.

Yes, #16, cigarettes are rather small. Seems like I'd be difficult to roll a $5.

When you take a large amount of money with you, it's smart to not but it in your wallet in case you get mugged.

Frostie13 11

I put lots of things in my packs but mostly cigs and money

Bobby Pins. Money. ID. Debit card. Cig packs are useful for a lot. and they fit in your pocky.

OP you should probably invest in a wallet or something. least you did something nice though, just learn from the mistake

Rainhawk94 27

Hopefully you believe in karma. And he invests that money, makes billions and remembers you....

He will most likely use the money to buy himself his own pack.

Well...at least you made someone very ******* happy!

addioty 19

It's just as good as any other. I know some people who out money in empty Chapstick tubes.

Ever pull out yer wallet and give it to someone, forgetting that you had money in it? maybe all places are not the same.

Why would you comment if you don't know what to say?

Why would you reply to ask why he would comment that he doesn't know what to say?