The Voice

By Ellie - 08/05/2012 05:05 - United States

Today, I was practicing for a choir concert that I have next week. My mom walked into my room and listened to me for a little while. After I finished the last song, she smiled, patted me on the head and said, "It's okay honey, I can't sing either." FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 926
You deserved it 2 976

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Awwww, I'm sure your not that bad OP. Everyone has their own taste !

If your mom is cooking dinner go into the kitchen and watch her cook. After a while say "it's okay mommy, I can't cook either". Revenge is sweet.

Comments

She's just jealous she didn't pursue it. Do what you love. **** other people. They're just miserable and bitter. Your mom wishes she had your confidence and determination. Just because she let her dreams slip away doesn't mean you should. Keep at it!

or maybe she is just jealous cause she wish she could sing well, and hearing you not being bad at it brings out the jealousy in her

InAmbrose 5

Thats exactly what I was thinking lol

You made it in choir right? Which means the person who went to school and studied music thinks you're pretty good. Moms can be harsh. Don't let it get ya down!

Exactly what I was thinking, No. 18. And some people just don't understand choral music. Only one group sings the melody; everyone else harmonizes. If the OP was practicing the harmony and not the melody, her mom might have just thought she was off-key, not realizing the OP is supposed to sing different notes than the melody. I was typically in the harmony group and my mom didn't get it, either. She did the same thing to me, complaining to me about how I couldn't carry a tune and what the **** was the director thinking when he picked me but the truth was she didn't understand that my role was NOT to sing the melody and too stubborn to listen when I explained it to her. She would have gotten it if she ever got off her ass and came to one of our concerts but she never bothered.

linkinpark98 23

Maybe your mom is just tone deaf, and you actually were singing pretty well. :) Oh well. Best of luck to ya OP!

Well, I was in high school and college choir. Choral singing is different from solo singing. If you blend in with other voices, then it is fine for you to be singing. If you can read music and hold your part, most likely you will be just fine. Don't worry, your mom might not understand the dynamics of choral singing so don't sweat it.

Brings back memories.. I love you to Mum!

Ninjasaurus18 9

Neither can Niki Manaj, but look where she's at. I'm sure that you're better than Nicki, at least.

Your mom was more than likely making a joke. I wish people would realize having kids does not mean you no longer want to joke around. Mom probably heard op thought they were great and decided to make a joke about herself. On the other hand if you can't sing and you are in choir because its a church thing or no tryouts because they do not want to "hurt anyone's feelings" keep singing, some peoples voices can be trained, but you can thank mom for being honest. Not enough people are now days and people who can't do things and told they can all their lives torture us. Ok I did not plan for this to be so long but one last thing. If you can't sing, so what? I love the singers of the world, my husband is one of them , but really it's a very common talent. You probably have something much more interesting and unusual going on you can do naturally.

perdix 29

You ought to try out for Americal Idol. I love it when assholes who think they can sing make fools of themselves. The only part of that show I watch is the audition tapes of The Horribles. You sound like an ideal candidate.

I agree. On the voice, it's hilarious when these cocky big shots go in and talk about how that are the voice and then they don't make it.

It's fine, lots of people who can't sing worth shit have had successful music careers. Just look at Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Bieber... You get the idea.