Thanks for the wording, dude

By Bex - 15/03/2016 07:27 - United States - San Francisco

Today, in front of a group of family, friends, and acquaintances, a guy I hadn't talked to in about two years asked me how rehab was going. In the monstrous silence that followed, I had to awkwardly explain that I work at a nursing home that also functions as a rehabilitation center. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 559
You deserved it 1 518

Same thing different taste

Top comments

As long as you made it clear you worked there..that's all you can do. Hopefully he knows better. If he was gonna ask something so personal, he could have asked in private. What a git.

Hey, all's well that ends well, right? It seems like it was cleared up pretty easy. In sure your old friend didn't mean to embarrass you in front of your family. I think it's a nice thing to laugh at!

Comments

I think you'll just look back and laugh in the end he never meant any harm right?

That must've been awkward. Sounds like you handled it fairly well though, OP :) now he knows better.

I feel your pain. I work in rehab (drug/alcohol) and much of my family has addiction problems. I've also worked for the dept of corrections for our state and a few other gov't agencies. When we have big get-togethers, I hear "so, still in rehab?" in all seriousness because they assume that I'm an addict as well. Or worse, when family friends IN treatment break confidentiality right there in the program to loudly tell me that my grandfather/uncle/aunt/mother would be proud I'm finally getting help for MY addiction (note: been clean for almost 17 years) and I have to quietly explain that I work here, and have worked here for x number of years (almost a decade now). It's nothing for you to be embarrassed about, unless you want to be embarrassed on their behalf. Smile, correct and move on.

DeadxManxWalking 27

She never said the guy was a friend though, just some guy she hadn't talked to in two years

Shouldn't your family and friends know that?

That's what I was thinking. I really don't see how this would be very awkward, unless op made it awkward by just standing there silently not answering a question half the group knew the answer to?

Wouldn't your friends and family know that you work in a rehab facility? Why is this so embarrassing?

Shouldn't your family already know that

you should have run with it.. "they say my urges to kill morons is getting better. but there are times,like today that I don't believe the doctors". and smile.

And so did the explaining help or was it still a bit off