Summer vibes

By milksquad - 17/07/2017 14:11

Today, my roommates adopted two kittens without consulting me. We're not allowed to have pets in our apartment and I'm severely allergic to cats. Oh well, it's not like I needed to be able to breathe this summer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 300
You deserved it 341

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should rat out your roommates to people who can do something about it, as opposed to a bunch of sarcastic commenters. Here’s a partial list: 2) The shelter they adopted the kittens from. Tell them your roommates lied about the permission to have pets. 1) Drum roll, please... your landlord.

I think you missed the part where OP said she is severely allergic to cats. No, I actually don't think you did, you just wrote a dumb comment for whatever reason. Here's an idea, if you're allergic to anything-eat it or be around that said something and come back so someone can tell you to "suck it up."

Comments

I'm surprised at the shelter. I worked for one and we had to call the landlord to verify that pets are allowed.

milksquad 11

They didn't get them from a shelter, some random dude on Craigslist was giving them away for free because he didn't want them anymore.

milksquad 11

OP here! Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I just want to clear a few things up. 1) They didn't adopt from a shelter, they literally just found some guy on Craigslist who didn't want them anymore and was giving them away for free. 2) At first they stayed in my roommate's bedroom, so I didn't say anything, but now they've gotten more comfortable with the place and are starting to roam throughout the apartment, so it's affecting me more. 3) When I say severely allergic, I mean general sneezing, itchy eyes, etc. I feel like shit, but it's not to the point that I need to be hospitalized or something. Though I've never spent enough time around cats to learn the true extent of my allergies, so maybe I'll discover something new about myself? 4) Normally I would tell our landlady, if I was assured that the cats' lives wouldn't be disrupted. I'm sure she has her reasons for not allowing pets. We live in a very marshy climate with lots of bugs and already had a problem with fleas earlier this summer. Any other time I'm like "**** authority" but in this case it... makes sense. 5) Our lease is up at the end of the month and I'm moving back on campus for fall so I only have to deal with it for a few more weeks. I think what upsets me most is that they're huge stoners and they smoke all the time, even around the cats, and they get really upset when the cats don't use the litter box. As if two-month-old cats are supposed to just know to use it without you training them! They also pissed all over my bag of yarn, so there goes my Etsy store lol. But honestly, they're so worth it. They're so tiny and cute and whenever I'm eating spaghetti they come over and rub themselves all over me and meow until I give them some, then they play with it instead of eating it. I'm going to miss them when I move but I definitely won't miss these roommates.

As cute as kittens are, sometimes it's not worth the risk. Only speaking as someone with a highly severe, borderline Deathly allergy to cats. As the kittens get older, their dander and hair change, which can cause much more severe affects (such as eyes swelling to the point where you no longer can open them or even throats and tongue swelling). I'd be cautious around them and try your damnedest not to let them rub up against you and your stuff!

milksquad 11

Thanks for the tip! Last night they came into my room and I thought I'd be fine but after a little bit my allergies started flaring up so I shooed them out. Thankfully I'm moving out in a few weeks.

my sister, who lived with em for like a week, did some similar shit. just came back oen day like "hey look, it's a cat, i got the litter and food and everything, we're keeping it, right?" and i'm like "i don't even want YOU living with me long term, and you take care of yourself and don't bother me, much less a cat. **** no." we grew up with like 4 cats just about all our lives, totaling like 50 by the time we all moved away from our mom's house, but if i wanted a cat, i'd have gotten one by now.