Still relevant

By FMJoblessL - 04/02/2010 05:02 - United States

Today, I am jobless after graduation. Ironic, since when I started college with my education degree, I was congratulated, told of the teacher shortage in my state, and how quickly I would be able to find a job. Three years in, the economy tanks, and the state issues a teacher hiring freeze. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 679
You deserved it 2 939

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks OP. But yeah, its just the american way to start cutting down expenses on education as soon as possible. (Not trying to be anti-american or anything, its just that my mother and several of her friends had to leave the US to find a job as a teacher for basically this same reason. It wont be the last time that'll happen).

boarder700 0

If the unions were willing to work with the states these things wouldn't be so severe. Cuts need to be made sometimes. The unions refuse cuts so things like hiring freezes are the only things states can do. They can't just print money like the Fed. You should start harassing the local teachers union. Unions suck - especially civil servant unions

Comments

bittersweetheart 0

for teaching it depends on your state. Texas and Alsaka are the place to go. Avoid the midwest its flooded with teachers.

Surely you could find some sort of tutoring job.

I ran into the same problem, so I just worked as an aide for awhile at a school (sure, it's terrible pay, but good experience and can get you connections in the schools) and then decided to go back and get my master's degree since I wasn't going to get hired as a teacher anytime soon.

Gobsnoglin 0

That is not ironic, it is a coincidence. Go back to school.

Gee, it's been that way for the past 20 years. I still have no clue why people go into teaching. Almost everyone I know of that went to college for teaching....is NOT teaching. OP: I feel for ya, but time to look into other forms of employment.

thighsofglory 0

FYL for getting an education degree. Did you wash out of the Anthropology program?

YDI for believing you were guaranteed a job. I'm an education major in a family of educators, and no one's job is EVER safe or guaranteed. Whining about it definitely won't help you in the process.

Anyway, it's not like your situation is all that uncommon right now, OP. Sure it sucks, but it's no more of an FML than pretty much the entire country is dealing with right now. Get in line, lady; a lot of us are going to be here for a while.