Slashing Prices Left and Right!

By Charity - 20/03/2017 17:00 - United States

Today, I tutored a kid for two hours, for $25 an hour. When it came time for them to pay, my mother told the kid's parents that they could give me ten bucks for the whole thing. She does this a lot. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 140
You deserved it 767

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It happens because you let it. Tell them the kid won't be tortured until balance is paid in full

Comments

If she does this a lot and you still go back there to offer them your services, FYL. Either do it for free and stop complaining or stop helping people like them.

Stop helping people like who? It's the mother's fault, not the kid's parents.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Wtf. Why wouldn't you want your kid to get paid? That's some BS.

Just because she doesn't value your work doesn't mean it's not valuable. Time to start handling your own money.

cheshireau 26

If you pay board to live at home (I'm assuming you are over 18?) take the remaining money out of that and give her the rest. That is just not on and you need to be assertive about it.

Viewerv 2

There is only one explanation I can find for your mom's behaviour, you are tutoring kids of family friends or at least people with whom your mother socialise. This probably means the parents complained to your mother that you were too expensive. My suggestion, make clear to your mom that this is not okay. If she argues, tutor away from home or don't tutor kids whose parents go whining to your mother. But if your mother is giving discounts to seem "nice" to both friends and strangers, your mother has validation issues and you need to put your foot down!

i think maybe mommy shouldnt be allowed to converse with your 'employers'.

Could you tutor at the kid's house to avoid your mom being involved? Or just laugh like she's joking and say "(kid's parents) knows its $25 per hour mom, don't be silly."

Tell your mom that if she wants to charge the kid $10 instead of the $50 you charge that she can do the tutoring yourself. I don't know how old you are but if you are old enough to drive or get yourself to the job, leave mom at home from now on

OP, remind the parents of your $25/ hr charge when you first arrive.

If she does it a lot, why are you still tutoring for them? YDI